I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglas Infinity Blanks
Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2020 05:11AM

In my search for a UL blank I came across a Lamiglas Infinity model AFW84ULF2. Seems like a very lightweight blank and probable a true ultralight by the specs. Anyways anyone have any thoughts on this blank or current lamiglas blanks in general. They don't seem to be as popular or as widely available as they used to be. Years back they seemed to be a much larger player in the rod blank business. I have at least a dozen older builds that were built on various lamiglas blanks. Last rods I built before taking a very long break was on the perigee series. Built a three rod spinning set from light to heavy. Spared no expense was at the top of my game at the time and they are about as close to perfection of anything I ever built. Never got around to doing a ultralight, but I don't think they offered one. Anyways that was my last experiences with lamiglas. Thanks for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglas Infinity Blanks
Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: June 13, 2020 01:40PM

To comment on their popularity, I feel like lamiglas's bread and butter is a relatively narrow salmon/steelhead market in the PNW and some great lake states. There are a few companies out there that have a complete line of finished rods supporting all the modern S/SH techniques. On the low end you have Okuma (No blanks), Berkley (No blanks), Lamiglas (China). In the mid to high end you have Lamiglas (USA), G. Loomis (No blanks), Edge (NFC Blanks), Rainshadow (blanks only). I refuse to use NFC so that leaves either Rainshadow or Lamiglas for me.

Lamiglas does have a ton of blanks for other species too but there are many many more companies targeting those markets so their popularity gets diluted. The other thing I've noticed about their blanks outside of the salmon/steelhead market is that they are built like they were made for fishing in WA. Take a look at their walleye line. They are all MH blanks cut to different lengths built specifically to excel at vertical jigging 1/2oz jigs on the Columbia river and deep lakes.

Posted by: Michael Sutheimer (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2020 03:14PM

I got the feeling they have become more specialized. I understand that. With the other companies offering a lot of what lamiglas used to offer at a better price point you got to compete somehow. Makes sense to offer what others don't instead of trying to compete directly. Too many people just compare prices not features or quality.

I too lean towards rainshadow for most builds. I want to like NFC and do like their products just don't get a good feeling about the company and how they do business. That is getting better but still uncertain about them. Lamiglas would be my go to if they offered the product range they used to. MHX seems decent but I get the feeling of marketing comes before product. Remind me a lot of the lower end hunting optics companies. When your biggest selling points are your low price and your warranty I really wonder about your products.

Back to the original blank in question. I cannot find out much. Have found several cases online of breakage under supposed normal use. Also found reports that the blank materials changed. So the current production is not made the same as the original. Makes me wonder if the new materials mesh with the old design.

Though not exactly what I want looks like a Rainshadow blank is going to be the best option.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 14, 2020 02:37PM

I only had my hand of the factory rods, like many of the top manufacturers, their ultralights are not floppy. The Infinity blanks are nano-resin construction more in line with their Si blanks than any other in their line up. 48 mil modulus, Lamiglas' IM700 and Loomis' IMX is in this range.
The Perigee blanks came in 6 ft. 1 pc, ultralight using G1000 graphite, and a 2 pc. 6 ft, in light power. I own 7 Perigee rods, from surf, to fly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2020 06:17PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Ray Raff (---.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: June 15, 2020 12:53PM

Their SI blanks are super sweet. I have a rod built on the SI 108 2M and I swear I can feel individual salmon teeth.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: June 15, 2020 02:00PM

Ray,
That blank was the original prototype of the Si concept, and shown as a finished rod to a group of rod builders at Lamiglas maybe 6 months before they went into production. I bought two blanks as soon as they were available, however mine have cork grips and Wiebe exposed blank reel seats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster