I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fiberglass Fly Rod Blanks
Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.94.43.177.pm3-3.koyote.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 11:37AM

I have a friend who insists he wants a fiberglass 7- or 8-foot, 3-weight fly rod. He says he likes the slower action of fiberglass for some small stream fishing. I haven't heard anyone ask for a fiberglass fly rod in years and a search of my catalogs didn't turn up a single manufacturer currently offering any light blanks in fiberglass.

Do any of you out there know of a source for a light fiberglass (7' or 8', 3-wt.) in fiberglass? If not that, could someone recommend a slower action graphite in the same class that would give him the softer feel that he wants?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fiberglass Fly Rod Blanks
Posted by: Tim Skibo (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 11:52AM

i recently built a 7"6" 4 wt rainshadow IF764. it has a slow action. if common cents test came out with an AA of 55 degrees(helpful only if you have the issue of rod maker to know what that means).

hope this helps a little.

Tim

Posted by: Harry Boyd (68.156.84.---)
Date: May 05, 2003 11:52AM

Jim,

Check with Lamiglas, one of the sponsors at the left. They produce quite a few fiberglass blanks, many of which are quite fun to cast.

Harry Boyd

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: May 05, 2003 12:44PM

Jim,

Lamiglas' Brush Creek series are great slow blanks. The 8' 5 wt is a real gem for smaller stream streamer fishing. The 6'6" 3 wt is a little slow for my tastes, but it makes a sweet little dry fly rod if you like that action.

Diamondback has the Diamondglass rods. I'm not sure if they offer them as blanks, but it would be worth a check. The factory rods have really sweet actions.

Also, Winston has their fiberglass rods offered as blanks. I think the blanks go $350-$400 though.

Thanks,
Rick
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Posted by: Doug Weber (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: May 05, 2003 12:51PM

Jim:

Lamiglas makes some six piece fibreglass fly rod blanks that are fun to cast. You can get them in a variety of line weights. I have an older 4 weight, 7-1/2 foot, four piece fiberglass rod made on a lamiglas blank. It is fun to cast and is quite sssllllooooooowwwww. Try the Lamiglas blanks!

Doug Weber
Weber Rod works

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.us.kpmg.com)
Date: May 05, 2003 01:37PM

One of my favorite small stream rods is a 7' 3 wt built on a Lamiglass glass 3pc honey colored blank. I got mine from Custom Tackle (on the left). In my opinion, glass is making a comeback for very good reasons. These are diffently not my Dad's (or my) glass.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 09:09PM

Another vote for the honey yellow Brush Creek Lami blanks.I have been DYING to build on one!I've heard nothing but praise for them and compared to the prices of other high end blanks offered by Winston,Scott,or Diamondback,they are a steal.

Posted by: Jim Kirby (---.94.43.146.pm3-2.koyote.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 11:46PM

OK! OK! OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've forwarded your input to my buddy and we have agreed to bend to the infinite wisdom of the board.

I'll be placing an order within the next day or two with Angler's Workshop for one of those Lamiglas blanks and the other hardware I need.

P.S. I really do appreciate this, guys.

Posted by: David Coleman (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 07, 2003 09:55AM

If you want to step up a bit, you may check out Steffin Bros. They make a great blank available in either sanded or unsanded finishes. Cost more than the Lamiglass, but these guys build a wonderful glass blank. Your friend is ahead of the curve on this one, especially if he wants the rod for close water. Good Luck!
David.

Posted by: Lou Lampe (---.tcsn.uswest.net)
Date: May 07, 2003 03:57PM

is this right:
[www.smallstreams.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster