I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Rainforest Blanks
Posted by: Steve Jenkins (---.sopris.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 01:33PM

My dad and I have been building split bamboo fly rods in Colorado since 1960. I am thinking about offering a line of custom-built graphite fly rods (7 to 9 feet with line weights no greater than 7) and would like anyone's opinion on Pac Bay's Rainforest, forest green blanks, which I assume are built by Baston Enterprises. They seem to be very reasonably priced. I have built quite a few rods with St. Croix Avid and Legend Ultra blanks, and have been pleased with their quality control and warranty, but their respective matte gray and matte spruce green color leaves little doubt as to who the manufacturer of the blank was to the astute customer. Can anyone draw some comparsions between the reasonably priced Rainforest blanks? I truley appreciate any valued input. Take care and thanks for your time.

Best,
Steve Jenkins
The C.W. Jenkins Fly Rod
www.jenkinsflyrods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Rainforest Blanks
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.157.72.252.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 01:49PM

I seem to always go back to the St Croix blanks! Don't like the color-paint them

Posted by: John Britt (---.9-67.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2003 01:57PM

Steve - Batson enterprises makes Rain-SHADOW blanks Pac Bay imports their own rainforrest series
John

Posted by: John Britt (---.9-67.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2003 01:58PM

Steve - Batson enterprises makes Rain-SHADOW blanks Pac Bay imports their own rainforrest series
John

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: May 04, 2003 02:02PM

Steve,
The Rainshadow blanks are made in a brand new blank plant in Sequim Washington. It is hard to go wrong with them they are excellent blanks for the money.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: May 04, 2003 02:05PM

Steve,
I am sorry I posted before I was ready. The Pacific Bay blanks are not built by Batson industries. Batson builds the Rainshadow blanks, the Rainforest blanks are built for Pacific Bay.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.113.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 04, 2003 03:33PM

I have one of the Pac Bay RainForest 8' 5-weight models. Very nice, easy casting blank. I can't put it in the same class as the St. Croix SCIV, at least for my personal casting and fishing style, but we don't all like the same things.

Still, I wouldn't think twice about recommending the RainForest models for anyone who wants a beautiful, easy to use, economical fly rod. And to tell the truth, it's also one of those blanks that performs much, much better than the low price would seem to indicate.

Posted by: Bryan Plenzler (---.rasserver.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 09:43AM

I highly doubt Batson makes anything for Pac Bay, especially given the history between the two!

Posted by: Steve Jenkins (---.sopris.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 10:14AM

Thanks to all who have responded. I believe I've got it right now about the difference between the Rainforest and Rainshadow manufacturers. Am still interested in any comments on quality comparisons, warranty information, action, etc. of both blanks and how they compare to St. Croix. Thanks again to all who offered their thoughts and those who might still.

Steve Jenkins

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.30.205.8.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 05, 2003 11:14AM

They're all very good blanks. Quality is excellent across the board. The actions and performance vary, however, and as such it's hard to make comparisons. What I like best, you may not.

Posted by: James Melton (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2003 11:41AM

Steve go to fishpacbay.com read about the warranty no questioned asked. Warranty is transferable from rod builder to anglers and will cover workmanship and material for the life of the blank. Action should be mod-fast depending on which blank. You can also receive a catalog via the site. Quality is excellent, price great I have built on St. Croix & PacBay each is great, we make the choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster