I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: Scott Donley (---)
Date: January 23, 2020 08:25AM

I’m looking for suggestions on what length,power and action if not specific blanks for fishing spinner rigs on Lake Erie. The info I have is the lure weight starts at 1/2oz. The rod will be used to cast spinner rigs using ,I think they call it fishing the swing method where you cast at aright angle to the boat on a drift. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 23, 2020 12:49PM

Sounds more like a river method than a lake method.

Posted by: Scott Donley (---)
Date: January 23, 2020 02:33PM

Maybe I have the terminology wrong.i will try to explain it a little better.say the wind is blowing from East to west you cast north or south,when your lure hits the water you start to count when you count say to five(that’s an arbitrary number)you then close your bail or stop your line from coming off the reel. Then your lure or in this case spinner rig will swing upwind of a drifting boat.The idea being you find the right number to stop at to match the depth of the fish.maybe it should be called the count down method.
Maybe some one out there knows what I’m trying to say and can explain it better.

Posted by: Ken Brown 2 (---.229.247.206.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: January 23, 2020 03:57PM

It doesn't sound like a method that would require a unique rod blank. Unless your client is looking for a much lighter rod than the application calls for. I would think any blank with a MH action and a fast taper would do the trick.

Posted by: David Baylor (---)
Date: January 24, 2020 07:01PM

Sounds like you're describing fishing a weight forward spinner, like the Erie Dearie. The head has a single French style blade behind it, followed by a single sproat style. It is fished using the count down method, and then starting your retrieve when you've counted down to the depth the fish are at, or just above. You don't want the bait to go below the level of the fish because suspended walleye feed up, and not down.

The "swing" you refer to is when the drifting boat passes and starts dragging the bait. A lot of strikes happen at that point because the bait gets a burst of speed. It's a method that used to be very popular on Lake Erie, although you don't hear it talked about much anymore. My guess is that it still works.

As far as a blank to use ........... now this was years ago mind you, but I personally would use my bass gear when I'd go up there with my dad and his friend. I used a 6'6" medium heavy powered, fast action rod bait casting rod, and 20 nylon mono filament line. If I were going up there to do it now, I'd probably go with the same medium heavy powered rod, but in a 7' - 7'6" length, and I'd use 20# fluorocarbon line.

I believe you need a higher powered rod simply because of the amount of line you have out. That amount of line acts like a lot of weight. Couple that with the weight and water resistance of the bait, and I believe you need the power to set the hook.

Posted by: Scott Donley (12.190.236.---)
Date: January 24, 2020 10:34PM

Thanks Ken and Dave for your responses . A med.hvy.fast action in a7 1/2 foot length is the way to go just wanted to make sure there wasn’t a reason for something else. A spinner rig is sort of a glorified Eriedeary,an egg sinker ahead of a spinner ,beads and a hook.more of a finesse presentation?? The question was for my brother in law. He laughed and said he’s been going up there for 25 years and still don’t know what rod to use!! Lol. Thanks again guys!!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---)
Date: January 25, 2020 08:04PM

Might want to look at the IP965-M popping rod blank on sale in the Hot Items section at Schneider's to the left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster