I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fish Eye
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 17, 2019 06:44PM

I know this issue has been addressed before, but having never been plagued with one before I'm apparently now joining the crowd. I just finished putting epoxy on a couple of rods, and everything looks great except for a big (1/8") fish eye on one underwrap. This is the second coat of finish on the wrap, so I must have contaminated that spot at some point while doing the overwraps. Only thing I can think of is that I wiped that underwrap off with Simple Green prior to mounting the guide because it looked like something had gotten on it, and I didn't want to wrap over it. Before I start experimenting on alleviating the problem I thought I'd throw this out to the board. I'm inclined to try sanding it out, and coat that spot with CP before reapplying epoxy. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave Sytsma

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fish Eye
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2019 07:29PM

Simple green was the problem, I bet, soaps, silicone, oils are a no-no.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: September 17, 2019 07:39PM

David,
“Smoothie” or Tom Harder’s “System 20 Fisheye Eliminator” as posted on Tom’s topic a few weeks ago. At 1/8in, that’s a crater rather than fish eye. The contamination has permeated the epoxy and will unlikely be removed by acetone, DNA, sanding or scuffing with a Scothbrite. Subsequent coats of epoxy will produce the same results without one of the additives. Any additional coats will also require the additive.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2019 07:44PM

Let your current epoxy application dry for a day or two. Wipe the area with isopropyl alcohol. Scuff very lightly with Scotchbrite and re-apply epoxy.

If it persists, repeat but brush over the area with some CP, let dry and then apply more epoxy.

And stop wiping the wraps with solvents.

Date: September 17, 2019 08:45PM

Thanks, guys. And Tom, if it's any consolation to you that's the first time I've ever been compelled to wipe off a surface prior to putting on finish. Usually I just lightly tap the areas to be finished with blue painter's tape to remove any stray dust particles. Lesson learned.

And the fish eye is now about 1/2" long by 1/4". I think it's the whole fish, and the finish is at the point where it shouldn't move anymore.

Dave Sytsma

Date: September 21, 2019 01:32PM

Follow up to the fish eye problem. I followed the instructions Tom provided and it took care of the problem. Thanks again, Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster