I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The end of an era
Posted by: Martin E. Morris (---.range165-120.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 13, 2019 09:38AM

I haven't contributed much to this forum but I have been following certain posts on here for years and hopefully will continue to do so if and when my condition allows. I was in the process of finalising six rods, four D/H's and a switch rod which were my favourite rods for building and using but just before Christmas 2018 I realised there was something wrong with my work on the rods and my vision and had to leave everything where it was. I did attempt to go back and rectify the problems but was unable to so I scraped all six.
Yesterday I gave all of my jigs and motors etc. including all my tooling away, hopefully to a person that will do them justice. I have today been working out the cost of everything and the estimate comes to £6000 British pounds not counting the blanks which would add a few more thousand. Now for someone that only built occasionally that is quite an investment over the years and every rod I built or refurbished have been used trouble free by all that own them. A sad day for me but I hope over the years I've helped all that came my way. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The end of an era
Posted by: John Cates (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2019 11:21AM

I am sorry to hear that we are losing another great rod builder. I do take solace knowing that you have shared not only your possessions, but your knowledge and story with this community and others. Thanks for sharing and I hope you find time to heal, rest, and still be a part of this rod building forum.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Eric Oertle (---.lightspeed.milwwi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2019 01:29PM

Sad story indeed. Age is the one thing that will get us all in the end. I'm just trying to do all I can while I still have sufficient health to do so, but fear I too will have to hang it up in the not too distant future. Best wishes to you.

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.15.236.249.res-cmts.ovr.ptd.net)
Date: June 13, 2019 04:40PM

I am very sorry.. I know what it is to have to give something up that means alot.. Not being able to continue your passion is one of the worst things that can happen... Just keep your head up, rest, remember all the smiling faces that passed through your doors.. And heal.. And whoever has your collection probably appreciates it more then you know..

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.97.252.156.res-cmts.leh.ptd.net)
Date: June 13, 2019 06:41PM

Sad indeed, but just think of all you've done! You will always have that.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 13, 2019 08:10PM

" I realized there was something wrong with my work on the rods and my vision and had to leave everything where it was"

Hopefully it's just your vision because thats something that in many cases can be corrected but i don't know the severity , i too had major issues with my vision at one point but i now manage to get by . Usually after one door closes a new one opens up so here's hoping that will be the case with you , always remember that no matter how bad things seem there are others who have it even worse & they manage to find ways to still enjoy the things they love.

Date: June 13, 2019 08:27PM

One would hope all avenues had been researched before giving everything away.

Posted by: herb canter (---.atmc.net)
Date: June 13, 2019 09:09PM

You would certainly think but when i read the below it gave me the impression that his vision wasn't good enough to see what he was doing . I didn't want to bring up the fact that he gave everything away as why make him feel worse if something can be done to help him.

" I realized there was something wrong with my work on the rods and my vision and had to leave everything where it was"

Date: June 13, 2019 09:48PM

If we're lucky maybe he hasn't read the last few posts.

Posted by: Martin E. Morris (---.range165-120.btcentralplus.com)
Date: June 14, 2019 11:20AM

Thank you all for your kind words and yes it did take a lot of time before deciding I couldn't justify the quality of my work to carry on and it has been a real downer in admitting it to myself that the quality had deteriorated so fast, on top of all this I received unwelcome news regarding myself yesterday so that just about tops it all.
On a more pleasant note the person who ( inherited ) the whole lot is going to put up a workshop for all the tools, jigs etc.and I've told him to register on this fine forum.
I will still be keeping an eye on here for as long as I can.

Date: June 14, 2019 04:47PM

Our prayers are with you Martin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster