I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Candy Thread Wraps
Posted by: Chase Killingsworth (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 11:35AM

I remember an article on candy thread wraps, but cannot locate the issue that it was in. I remember that something reflective is put under the wrap to give the brighter appearance, but can’t remember what is used.
What’s everyone using to get this effect? What works well and not so well? I’m trying to save some trial and error, thanks for any advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Candy Thread Wraps
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 01:14PM

I have used to with great results the chrome tape you get at an auto accessory store it’s intended use is for making a fake moulding on the side of a car. One roll will last a lifetime.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bill Marchisella (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 01:16PM

The best way to get that candy effect is to put nylon thread, any color, over metallic thread such as gold or silver. Do not use ncp thread.

Posted by: Mark Talmo (71.147.59.---)
Date: March 20, 2019 01:31PM

Chase,
Volume 21, Issue1, page 12. The author, Jim Wardell used Mylar tape under regular nylon thread.

Mark Talmo
FISHING IS NOT AN ESCAPE FROM LIFE BUT RATHER A DEEPER IMMERSION INTO IT!!! BUILDING YOUR OWN SIMPLY ENHANCES THE EXPERIENCE.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 01:58PM

Posted by: Chase Killingsworth (---.pools.cgn.spcsdns.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 05:26PM

Thanks to all for the quick responses. I loaned some of my magazines to a friend who is starting to build rods. I’ve been wanting to try this for a while.

Posted by: Bert Dluhy (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 20, 2019 06:34PM

Re: Thread color
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 18, 2018 12:53PM

I have experimented with auto store silver pinstriping material (1/4" wide) under Fuji Ultra POLY to avoid the black blank showing through the thread (which will become translucent with finish). The results can be pretty dramatic with the silver making the translucent top color almost glow with the reflective background as a base. It does not work with every color, but I know blues and reds are very cool in the sun. It doesn't seem to work as well with a silver thread underwrap, I assume because the thread is not as mirror-like as the film. I don't use any color preserver for this. Some savvy thread guy needs to take this to the next level and report results!

Posted by: Anthony Unger (---.sub-174-201-19.myvzw.com)
Date: March 21, 2019 12:33PM

Go to lowes, or home depot.. Go to the heating and cooling department.. Get real duct tape.. It comes in diffrent sizes, i get a 3" roll of silver foil tape.. Stuffs really sticky, takes epoxy and permagloss without any issues.. And since its a 3" wide roll you can cut strips the diameter of your rod, a 50' roll with at max 1" or so removed per guide will last a verry, verry long time.. Something to concider.. I had a fear of it being foil it would crinkle.. Then you have something that looks like a crushed tin foil ball on your rod.. Absolutly no problem.. It burnishs out perfectly smooth.. I did a restore of a 10' surf with faux chrome wraps, i think theres a picture on my picture page of it.. I glossed the wraps to keep that vintage look.. I was extremly haply with the results..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster