I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4/0, 6/0 silk
Posted by: Lou Lampe (---.tcsn.uswest.net)
Date: April 15, 2003 01:39PM

- I have on order 6/0 Pearsal's Gossamer White from Golden Witch. They also carry YSI in 3/0 white. Does any one know where else to buy white silk in 4/0, 5/0, or 6/0. I am experimenting with transparent wraps.
Lou, the curious amateur.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4/0, 6/0 silk
Posted by: Harry Boyd (68.156.84.---)
Date: April 17, 2003 03:24PM

Lou,

Sorry to be slow, but I'm afraid you'll have a hard time finding silk in those sizes. Pearsall's Naples silk is purported to be about 4/0, but that's the only one I know. I think you'll find both the YLI and Pearsalls to be great products.

Harry Boyd

Date: April 17, 2003 05:43PM

Thanks, Harry,
Since I was not getting an answer to the post, I began to assume that no one knew where to find any. I tried a 3/0 silk wrap with an unknown brand and it came out fairly clear. I thought finer silk would make it better though even the 3/0 was a bit touchy to wrap and took many turns, meaning more yards and more time and more care. So I thought I'd hedge a little with an alternate between 3/0 and 6/0.
The Pearsall's (6/0 more or less) arrived just now so I'll see how that goes. A micrometer is a poor way to compare silk threads because they flatten, nevertheless the Pearsall's Gossamer "measures" .0021" vs .0032" for the 3/0 unknown brand. Naples scarlet or black (it doesn't come in white) "measure" .0041, each one. Tough to measure since silk doesn't slide through a micrometer like metal would. I should try LSI, too.
Lou.

Date: April 17, 2003 05:46PM

YLI not LSI.
sorry 'bout that,
Lou.

Posted by: Harry Boyd (68.156.84.---)
Date: April 17, 2003 07:12PM

Lou,

I think you'll find that the Gossamer isn't easy to work with. I use it on my bamboo rods, but find that the tiny size really is more difficult to use.

And I hate to tell you this, but getting perfectly clear wraps isn't so much a function of silk size as it is technique. Use only true spar varnish. Heat the varnish in the microwave till it's very warm, but not boiling. Burnish the wraps well. Singe any "fuzzies" off before starting. Soak the wraps thoroughly, and wick away excess varnish with a dry brush. Expect to use two coats of varnish to get the look you desire. After two coats, additional coats will not produce wraps that are less opaque.

Perfect clear wraps are something of a holy grail for me, and aren't easy. I have a system that works quite well for me, but doesn't seem to work so well for others. Be patient. Be persistent. And experiment. By all means if you find a system that works easily, share it ! <g>

Harry Boyd

Posted by: Gregg Monbleau (---.esniff.com)
Date: April 17, 2003 10:22PM

UPDATE on Clear Threads.

Ok so most of my regular job customers are gone for the weekend and I work out of my house. SO, I took a field trip today down too jo-ann fabric. What a place. There I found Coats and Arms Nylon transparent thread. So I said to myself, self, try this and a few other threads while i am at it. (odd looks from the old ladies there) I bring home the thread apply it too a size 30 guide and a size 6 guide. Instead of a traditional thread wrap, I criss crossed back and forth on the guide instead of a nice even wrap. I tied them off and started mixing my clear coat. I applied the clear coat and everything vanished thread and all. The trick is if you find a silver section on the thread you have to work the epoxy down too the blank and i used a stiff brush and tooth pick to do this. I then took my regular brush and smoothed the finish. Now I have pulled on the guides to lift and break them and it did come loose a bit. I looked at the epoxy and it was thin towards the ring side of the guide and the nylon pulled through. I added a second coat just now and all disappeared again and the coat looks even. I will take some pics tonight and post.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster