I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sealing Ferrules
Posted by: Joel Casto (---.gci.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 02:43AM

I'm building a Sage XP 4wt and have searched and read the archives about sealing the male ferrules with black RTV. Some have mentioned Rod Bond as a better (stronger) alternative.

If I use Rod Bond, how much do I use? How do you get it into the ferrules? After I put the sealant in should I stand the sections vertically with the male end down and if so, how do I keep the sealant from dripping out?

Aside from strengthening the ferrule is there any other benefit from sealing?

Appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Joel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sealing Ferrules
Posted by: Jeff D. Fultz (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 07:26AM

When you use Rod Bond, just use a craft stick or something else flat and push in about a 1/4" worth. You don't need to do anything special to keep the Rod Bond in place, it will not run. Sealing the ferrule will also help to keep moisture out.

Jeff - Platte River Rods

Posted by: Rick Koontz (---.lubrizol.com)
Date: April 09, 2003 02:55PM

Joel,

I use my handy dandy spatula. There are oh so many uses for them in rod building that I now have a half dozen around fo different sizes and qualities for different applications. Press it down as jeff suggested. I like to put enough in so that I think it is enough to fill the last 3/4" of the tip. Once I have it all in, I flip mine over and tap it down by tapping the blank against something soft (a piece of foam on a hard floor works). This will force the rod bond nearest the end of the tip and make sure it is fairly even. Then just let it dry.

Rick
rkoontz@andrew.cmu.edu

Posted by: Joel Casto (---.gci.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 07:42PM

Jeff and Rick - thanks for your responses. I appreciate the help!
Joel

Posted by: Kevin Lyons (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: April 09, 2003 10:53PM

I just did this task on four rods tonight and what I did was to take a small piece of eva foam trimmed to the approx inside diameter of the male ferrule. Then I gently pushed it in using the end of a finish brush, just about a quarter of an inch down. Then standing the rod vertically against the edge of my tying table held with a rubber band. I filled the last quarter inch with flex coat 30 minute epoxy using a needle. I am new at this so I can't say if it will last but it looks good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster