I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Re: To build a surf rod
Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (---.lightspeed.jcvlfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 30, 2017 04:05PM

Lance Schreckenbach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a direction that I think will take you
> where you want to be. Graphite rod blanks
> typically labeled "IM6" are very flexible in the
> range of a similar fiberglass rod with a couple of
> notable differences;1) they are lighter 2) the
> tube wall is thinner. They are usually the least
> expensive of the graphite type blanks. They also
> use a fiberglass scrim in most cases and it really
> helps with the strength of the blank. I was in the
> market for a fiberglass fly rod and I had a chance
> to talk to a company rep with Sage. He showed me a
> graphite blank that really had the flexibility of
> fiberglass and changed my mind of what I was
> looking for or it could of been just a good
> marketing ploy.LOL

Yes, I have heard the IM6 is much closer to Fiberglas but I haven't seen any in the size or flex that I need, but I'm looking.

Date: March 30, 2017 04:26PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
> Fred, here is the deal. There are no 13'
> fiberglass surf blanks in the hundred buck range.
> Reckon you have already found that out.
>
> So you have a few choices.
>
> A) Buy a shorter blank of a different material.
> The RodGeek mentioned above is an example. PacBay
> and American tackle have something near that price
> range but I would wager RodGeeks is the better
> blank.
>
> B) Try to find a vintage blank (or completed rod).
> Shipping can run a lot so look locally. Thrift
> stores, flea markets, estate sales, Craig's list,
> etc. They are out there and many times folks
> don't know what they have so great deals are
> possible. Helps if you can spot things at a
> distance. Certain brands used to use distinctive
> colors....Fenwick a brown...Lamiglas a honey
> yellow.
>
> C) Buy a current production rod. Ugly Stick is
> much like the gator glass and might be about what
> you are looking for. You can always strip it down
> and rebuild it.
>
> If you can do with a shorter rod you have a lot
> more options. Strange as it may sound a faster
> action rod, by virtue of having a much softer tip,
> might work better for you. Some of the
> salmon/steelhead blanks for example. Even a fly
> rod blank for casting lighter weights and jigs.
> There are a lot of ways to catch a Pompano and
> they don't all involve tossing a sand flea a
> country mile:) Personally I'm not a good enough
> caster (or probably big enough) to take advantage
> of a 13 foot rod. Do you find it adds all that
> much distance for you? That 13 foot requirement
> is the deal killer:( Puts you into a very special
> niche.

Russ,
Actually there is the Gator Pomp Light that would fit the bill perfectly, if it were two piece. I may have to just get over it and live with carrying that long thing around. I've read a few reviews of it and it seems to have that bend I am looking for. It's 80 bucks and Mudhole is just over an hour from my house, so no shipping.
I have an 11 ft rod now and I can cast it way further my 9.5 rod, so I seem to get more distance with longer rods. I have a lake and it is exactly 110 yds and I can hit the other side with it, but that's just with a 3 oz sinker, I do get less with a rig and the ocean wind. So I Know I will (or should) go farther with a 12-13.
Looking for a vintage rod will be on the agenda also, I have two rods that I can live with so if I wait, maybe I will find that Fenwick or Lamiglas and get a good deal.
Thought about the Ugly stick but the 12 is a heavy action and that is a little too much. Shakespeare makes a Tidewater (spinning) 12' Medium power that would not be a big deal to try out. Not sure how good those are though. I'm thinking of getting that anyways for my wife, she has a spinning set up and I see how it performed, if I like just buy another and take it apart.
It's always fun to figure these thing out, at least I have a mission now.

Posted by: Jay Weissler (63.87.201.---)
Date: March 31, 2017 05:20PM

how about a shorter 2 piece fiberglass blank and a removable butt extension like a lot of old boat rods had? Do you need the bend all the way thru the handle? Put a female socket on the handle. The pieces will be different lengths and maybe the action not exactly what you're looking for but maybe what you want.

Posted by: Ken Blanchard (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 31, 2017 07:54PM

If I were you i'd look into RodGeeks out of Troy NY. I just came back from a seminar there with 6 Surf rod blanks. Awesome rods up to 15ft 2 piece (30/70 split) THey come in many colors and are supurb to any blanks prices under $200.00. S-Glass.

If I were you i'd look into RodGeeks out of Troy NY. I just came back from a seminar there with 6 Surf rod blanks. Awesome rods up to 15ft 2 piece (30/70 split) THey come in many colors and are supurb to any blanks prices under $200.00. S-Glass.

Date: March 31, 2017 08:10PM

Just posted an endorsment for Rod Geeks also. Just bought 6 blanks that need to be ready for the Fall Run here in New England

Date: March 31, 2017 08:10PM

Just posted an endorsment for Rod Geeks also. Just bought 6 blanks that need to be ready for the Fall Run here in New England

Date: April 02, 2017 08:05AM

Ken, you and Paul have both mentioned Rod Geeks and there is one (the one Paul mentioned) that seem to fit the bill. SRF110MM2 @135.00 seems to be the closed thing to what I am looking for. I want a medium power with a medium action. Only thing I want differently is I'd like to go to 12 ft, for the fact that I have an 11' now and just want to move up a foot or two. So, this one is in the running for sure. I've also looked into carp blanks. I'm pretty sure I could find what I want as far as power/action/length, just can't find it in the U.S. It's always something. Pacific Bay makes some carp rods and I was looking at these [www.johnnyspond.com]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 02, 2017 10:22AM

I'm surprised that you have many hooks pull out of pompano. Nearly every pompano I have lost while using small (#1) circle hooks was grabbed by a predator.

Posted by: Fred Zimmermann (97.65.5.---)
Date: April 03, 2017 12:27PM

Jay Weissler Wrote:
> how about a shorter 2 piece fiberglass blank and a
> removable butt extension like a lot of old boat
> rods had? Do you need the bend all the way thru
> the handle? Put a female socket on the handle. The
> pieces will be different lengths and maybe the
> action not exactly what you're looking for but
> maybe what you want.

Can these be made to fit near the reel seat to permanently make the rod longer? I would think joining two pieces at that section with sturdy ferrule would be plenty of support.

Date: April 03, 2017 12:40PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
> I'm surprised that you have many hooks pull out of
> pompano. Nearly every pompano I have lost while
> using small (#1) circle hooks was grabbed by a
> predator.

It's not that we have a lot of hooks pull, but we do have pull outs. It's that we have realized that a slower action with medium power is going to catch more with less getting off. I really figure if I am going to build a pompano rod for the type of fishing I do, I want it to my specifications. the goal is to build a rod that is perfect for the quarry. If it it isn't then I'll chalk it up to experience and then build another, learning from my last build. Once I find the right combination (hopefully the first one I build) I am going to build four or five more for the whole set-up.

Date: April 03, 2017 08:41PM

Hi Fred,
You won't be sorry with the 11 footer from Rodgeeks. They also have a 13 and 15 footer and a few new rod blanks that they are testing now in Texas and North Carolina. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call. They are the best to discuss your needs with. The blanks are made in Mexico but they are an American original business and the blanks are great. You won't be dissappointed.

Hi Fred,
You won't be sorry with the 11 footer from Rodgeeks. They also have a 13 and 15 footer and a few new rod blanks that they are testing now in Texas and North Carolina. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call. They are the best to discuss your needs with. The blanks are made in Mexico but they are an American original business and the blanks are great. You won't be dissappointed.

Hi Fred,

Hi Fred,

Date: April 03, 2017 08:52PM

What the heck, it pshed my reply four times, lol Sorry

Posted by: Sam Folds III (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 05, 2017 10:28PM

Ken Blanchard Wrote:
> What the heck, it pshed my reply four times, lol
> Sorry

and here I thought you were just trying to get your point across. LOL

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 06, 2017 11:08AM

I think if you could find a few old Diawa Eliminator surf rods in the 12' size, you can strip them down, reguide em" and use them. I have two in the rafters of my garage that I rebuilt in the early 90's that I use as meat sticks. They are good tough rods, 2pc, and have simi soft front ends. Caught a lot of stripers,skates, and blues on them off the beach of Sandy Hook,NJ
You sound like you know what you want but, its not available, so your gonna have to utilize something from the past. Start looking at yard sales for good used equipment and rebuild them to suit your needs.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: April 07, 2017 11:39AM

Dennis Danku Wrote:
> I think if you could find a few old Diawa
> Eliminator surf rods in the 12' size, you can
> strip them down, reguide em" and use them. I have
> two in the rafters of my garage that I rebuilt in
> the early 90's that I use as meat sticks. They are
> good tough rods, 2pc, and have simi soft front
> ends. Caught a lot of stripers,skates, and blues
> on them off the beach of Sandy Hook,NJ
> You sound like you know what you want but, its
> not available, so your gonna have to utilize
> something from the past. Start looking at yard
> sales for good used equipment and rebuild them to
> suit your needs.

I've narrowed it down to the 13' one piece Pomp Light rod at Mudhole, I met someone on the forum here who has a good way to make a two piece out of it, that's if I get the courage to do it. I may just leave it one piece and deal with it. Secondly, in the meantime I am going to follow your and a couple of others on this forum's advice and just look around and see what I can find. I live on the coast so I should run into a good deal sooner or later.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster