I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Replace cork grip on fly rod
Posted by: David Bratton (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 02, 2016 10:42PM

I am a novice rod builder who is appreciative of any advice and guidance. I am trying to replace a grip on a Sage Z-axis fly rod. I would like to keep the reel seat. There is a hook keeper and winding check in place.

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Replace cork grip on fly rod
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2016 10:47PM

If there is not a guide in front of the grip on the section, it is pretty straight forward.

You will need to remove the winding check and hook keeper. Then take the cork grip apart by shaving it away with a blade or dremel tool. You do not need to get the area where the grip resides completely smooth, but also not extremely lumpy. Then prepare the replacement grip by reaming to slide over the area as you do for a new blank.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2016 11:41PM

I have replaced grips on fly rods without removing WC's.
I use the Flexcoat cork lathe.
I mount the butt section of, I hope a 4pc rod, in the lathe. I have a unique way to attach the male ferrule of the 4pc rod in the chuck.
Turn the grip down to the level of the top of the winding check without marring it. You should try to get the grip the same diameter along the whole length. Apply epoxy to the grip and install cork rings or premade grip over the WC. You should be able to force the grip/rings over the hookkeeper.
Herb

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 02, 2016 11:41PM

I have replaced grips on fly rods without removing WC's.
I use the Flexcoat cork lathe.
I mount the butt section of, I hope a 4pc rod, in the lathe. I have a unique way to attach the male ferrule of the 4pc rod in the chuck.
Turn the grip down to the level of the top of the winding check without marring it. You should try to get the grip the same diameter along the whole length. Apply epoxy to the grip and install cork rings or premade grip over the WC. You should be able to force the grip/rings over the hookkeeper.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 04, 2016 12:35PM

When removing the cork I Never use a knife or grinding tool or sandpaper. Take a regular pair of pliers and grab/pinch the cork then pull or twist it. The cork will fall off the blank with no possible damage to that Sage blank !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 09:17PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 04, 2016 08:03PM

With the quality of cork used on even high-end rods today your problem is certain to become more common. I see my personal fly rods as fishing tools, not objets d'art, and I have covered some cork grips with heat-shrink flocked tubing. They work fine.

Date: September 06, 2016 08:42AM

Phil,
Sorry for the delay in responding. Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Date: September 06, 2016 08:43AM

Herb & Tom-
Many thanks for the suggestions.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster