I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

questions for Australian builders or any that can answer
Posted by: James Rogers (---.75.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 12, 2016 04:52PM

I am Looking for blanks that are comparable to your Snyder glass rods that are so popular when paired with an Alvey reel. My first questions are concerning terms. I keep seeing the terms "live fibre" and "4 wrap, 6 wrap, ect." used when describing Australian blanks, and I really do not know what they mean. I think the 4 wrap is referring to the thickness of the blank wall but am not sure. The Snyder glass rods are described as having a soft tip and strong backbone. What are some of the blanks available to me in the US that compare. I am finding that blanks in the 12 to 15 foot range are few and far between and when I do find them they seem to be rated for stronger line and a lot more casting weight than I am looking for. I really like fishing with the one alvey reel that I have and am in the process of obtaining a few more so I would like to build rods specifically for them to the specifications that the reels were designed for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 06:07PM by James Rogers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: questions for Australian builders or any that can answer
Posted by: James Rogers (---.75.141.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 12, 2016 08:17PM

Or could the "4 wrap" reference how many guides are on the rod although this seems a little off as they were describing a 14' rod

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 12, 2016 08:32PM

I believe the number of "wraps" refers to wall thickness per the number of material wraps on the mandrel, which would relate to power/stiffness.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 13, 2016 12:38AM

From the Kilwell website:

LIVEfibre! The unique blend of the finest aerospace grade carbon fibre and woven fibreglass is bonded with a specially modified resin and combined in a three layer Crowsfoot construction. Twill Weave bi-directional fibres impart additional strength and toughness and result in blanks that are light, powerful, and with huge lifting power,but tips so sensitive that even the slightest contact with the fish is instantly transmitted to the anglers hand.

Don Becker

Posted by: Scott Gamble (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: August 13, 2016 05:40AM

Hi James, Beautiful blanks the Snyders, they are still available and can be bought here in Australia, with still a reasonable range available and possibly what you are seeking, I am hesitant to put the supplier down here as they are not on the sponsors list, but I'm sure I can point you in the right direction another way if you are wanting. As for the wraps I do remember being told but cannot quite remember exactly what is(although this is typical and will come to me late at night sometime), thinking Tom was right with the number of wraps per inch or something like that and thickness of the wall, but can check on this next week if you wanted. Live Fibre is as above post and a fancy name for the construction process and material used, a High Modulus Carbon.

SG Custom Rods
Australia

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.pybm1.wa.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 13, 2016 11:49AM

Wilson fishing tackle are the current manufactures of Snyder rods. Four wrap does refer to the wall thickness however keep in mind there is the original MT "multi taper" series and the newer FSU which might stand for
" fast surf ", being larger in diameter a 4 wrap FSU is somewhat equivalent to an 8 wrap MT blank.I'm not sure were to find an Aussie style rod blank in the US, maybe a very heavy steelhead rod?

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 13, 2016 01:43PM

The Lamiglas GSB series tends to have a moderate action.

There may be two models of interest.

GSB 180 2MH 15' Lure 5-7 ounces
GSB 180 2M more moderate action and less power than the 2MH

These models may have been discontinued since they served a niche market. Sometimes Lamiglas has older models available but does not advertise them. You may want to call Lamiglas and ask.

Don Becker

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 13, 2016 06:45PM

& G'Day James Many years ago I used to make rods made on a Butterworth blank a Mt 3144 for the Ludrick & a 5144 for Black Drummer. The Butterworth is no longer available but Pacific Components make a blank using the Butterworth terminology .If you contact Ross at The Rodworks in South Oz he used to carry those .However I'm not 100% sure if he still does ,eitherway it would still be worth a word with him as he may have something else in their place .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster