I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy is tacky
Posted by: Michael Stockton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2016 01:59PM

I used Pro Kote High Build 2 part epoxy/thread finish on a rod. First coat was good. I think I did not thoroughly mix the second coat before application - it is tacky after 4 days. Then, I tried another coat. Third coat set up good, but when touched it gets mushy because of the underlying tacky coat. I'd like to start over. Is there any way to save the threadwork, but remove the sticky mess? THANK YOU!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy is tacky
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2016 02:35PM

Not really. Best you can hope for is to keep the rod in a warm place for a few days and see if that accelerates the cure. Although, if the mix was off, that's not likely to work.

Date: August 08, 2016 05:23PM

Is there a solvent that helps remove the tacky epoxy?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2016 06:38PM

Not really. Tacky is partly cured and not much will touch that with any significant success. At this point it certainly won't hurt you to try, so use some acetone, goo-gone, etc., on one of the wraps and see what happens. I'm pretty sure what the outcome will be but at this point you have nothing to lose. Still, give it a few more days before you do this.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 08, 2016 07:01PM

I agree with Tom, tacky is not fully cured, but this may be an advantage to removing it. One thing you can try is to heat one of the guides with a hair dyer, this may soften the epoxy enough so you can remove it with your finger nail or some other hard but dull instrument. You do not want cut your treads. It may just peel away allowing you to get down to the first epoxy layer or treads. If you used color preserver you should be able to remove all of the epoxy, because cp prevents the epoxy from entering the treads. Try it and see what happens you do not have that many options.
Norm

Date: August 08, 2016 11:11PM

Thanks - I'll try it.

Date: August 08, 2016 11:13PM

Thanks - I'll try it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2016 11:46AM

Michael,
If the removal, does not work, remove the guides, wrap and thread. Completely clean the rod, wipe down with DNA, and then use a wash with soap and water and let dry for three days before doing any new guide work or finish work.

Best thing to do, is to cut your guides off of the rod, clean up the rod and rewrap.

Then, when you mix your finish, mix completely for 2 minutes or 120 seconds, being sure to frequently wipe the sides of the dish and the mixing stick so that you get all of the finish completely mixed.

Then, apply your finish - and let dry for three days and if necessary, apply a 2nd coat.

But, if you do it correctly, you may very well find that 1 coat is sufficient. No need to add more coats, if the first coat fills completely, and you are happy with the finish.

Good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster