I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper Guide Placement
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 07, 2016 12:08PM

I am building a couple of catfish rods 7' med/hvy. I'll be using a ABU 7000 on the rods. I understand to start I''ll place the stripper guide somewhere around 16 to 22 inches from the reel and fill out the remainder of the blank with running guides. What I am having difficulty with is determining the size of the stripper guide. I also will do a static test and re-position guides as necessary to keep the line off the blank. It seems like I read somewhere the size of the stripper guide has something to do with the width of the casting reel.

Can someone please tell me how I select the proper size stripper guide?

Thanks
Kerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper Guide Placement
Posted by: Todd Paquin (---.sub-70-210-7.myvzw.com)
Date: August 07, 2016 05:40PM

All my salt water or heavy fresh water rods I'll run an Inside diameter stripper that is 75% the reel face diameter.
Works well for long casts. Ie: 2.375" reel face 1.750" stripper.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 07, 2016 05:45PM

This should help
[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.10.---)
Date: August 07, 2016 06:04PM

I think he's talking a casting rod setup, and with catfish rods anything strong enough should work just fine. Diameter is not a big issue. I'd go with strong 12. It should pass any knot you use.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 07, 2016 07:26PM

I am about to start, whenever I have some free time, on a similar build on a Rod Geeks X Comp 733 to use with an Okuma citrix 350 . From what I gathered is the stripper guide size is determined mainly by height needed to keep the line off the front grip. A fast action rod that has little bend near the grip does not need as much height as a slow action that bends far down.My blank is quite stiff in that area so my plan is use a size 16 going down to size 8 runners. I would think that a wider reel would benefit with a little less friction with a larger diameter stripper guide but I think 20mm would be the largest you would need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2016 07:54PM by David Miller.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: August 08, 2016 03:43AM

Hi Kerry,

For starters, an Omoto 7000 is almost identical to an ABU 7000. Is it a level wind reel?

I measured the height of a filled Omoto 7000 and the line level at the top is about 1.75 inches above the blank. That, along with the position of the first running guide should give you an approximate position for the stripper.

The old standard for the size of the stripper for a surf rod was: If the reel is smaller than a Jigmaster, use a size 25. If it was a Jigmaster or larger, use a 30. Now you have the option of using guides with high frames.

Is the blank one or two piece?

Don Becker

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2016 04:30AM

Build it with a size 12 and go fishing with it. If you don't like it, cut it off and put on a size 16.

Good luck

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 08, 2016 06:49PM

At first I didn't think I was going to get a reply but now just keep it coming . I love to learn anything new especially if it involves rod building, fishing or electronics. And Don the answer is - a one piece med/heavy Shikari. Beautiful dark green blank straight as an arrow and light as a feather., I almost hate to build on it.

And I still can't remember where I read that the about the width of the bait caster reel. Something along the lines that as the line is coming off the spool (left to right/ right to left the stripper guide should be large enough that the line doesn't touch the inside edges of the guide. I don't know if there is any truth to it but it make sense.

The info about the height of the of the spool filled w/line is also good info.

Thanks,

Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster