I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Thread Over Ferrule
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.11.---)
Date: August 01, 2016 01:22PM

I am in the process of putting together a 2-piece Sage SP196 9'6" 4-10lb line weight blank as a drift rod for steelhead here in the Pacific Northwest. My question is:

How important is it to wrap the entire length of the ferrule with thread? Or can I just wrap part of the ferrule and be confident in knowing that the ferrule will not break on me?

The bottom section of the blank goes in about 2.25" into the ferrule. I have a double foot guide that sits at the end of the ferrule that will be wrapped 1" thick. This means that there will be 1.25" of ferrule that will not be wrapped with thread.

I have wrapped just the guides on the bottom end of ferrules on many rods in the past and have not had any ferrules fail on me. However these are usually heavier/stronger rods compared to this Sage SP196 blank. Given that I will be spending a lot of time on this blank and it will be used for steelhead I wanted to make sure that the ferrule doesn't break on me when I have a trophy acrobatic steelhead on. I don't mind wrapping the whole ferrule if it's needed but I would rather wrap just the double foot guide only if I can get away with it for aesthetic reasons.

Thank you in advance.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Thread Over Ferrule
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 01, 2016 01:41PM

All the thread wrap does is prevent a split-out from starting at the very edge of the ferrule opening, so once you go much further along the ferrule than that you'd doing something that isn't necessary and doesn't actually provide any additional strength to the ferrule.

Most companies these days include an internal reinforcement in their lay-up so thread wraps are becoming somewhat obsolete. We did an article on this in the magazine a few years back and about 2/3rds of the companies we spoke with said they did not require any additional ferrule reinforcement on their blanks.

If you want to do it for peace of mind, try making a wrap on the ferrule, starting very close to the open end and with very snug thread tension, and wrap back a distance equal to about 1-1/2 to 2 times the ferrule diameter. So if the female ferrule opening is, say, 1/4 inch, wrap back about 1/2 inch.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 02:29PM

Lam,
If you are putting a guide that is virtually next to the joint, who not wrap the guide starting from the joint?

Be safe

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 04:44PM

Lam,
As Tom says.

But depends on instx from manufacturer.
CTS requires no ferrule wrap. I do so for cosmetic sake. For 12'-13' two-handed fly rods where there is a lot of stress on the ferrules I make two wraps of about 1/2" and 1/2" apart. I do not like the look of long wraps. Especially ferrule wraps.
Now Gatti - an Italian blank manufacturer requires that you make a 15mm wrap on all ferrules for their warranty to be in force.
So check with Sage customer service.
Herb

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 04:57PM

Wrap the ferrule in a color that matches the blank and then wrap the guide with the color of your choice. I do this all the time and it make the rod look seamless.
Its a Sage, wrap it!

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 05:20PM

Dennis,
Great idea!!
Herb

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.10.---)
Date: August 02, 2016 11:09AM

If you use a color that comes close to the blank color and do not use CP on it, it will almost disappear. I've not had much luck in matching blank colors, exc black.

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.11.---)
Date: August 02, 2016 12:28PM

Thank you for all the responses to my post. I find them all extremely helpful. After taking all of the above responses into account I have decided to just wrap the double-foot guide starting at the edge of the ferrule. I have wrapped several rods like this and to date have not hay any ferrules split/break on me.

As far as choosing a color that matches blank color, I too have had a hard time choosing a color that exactly matches blank color. And even when color comes close there is still the shiny epoxy look when you apply epoxy to it.

This build is gonna be fun!

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 02, 2016 08:22PM

Try white silk in a 00 size without CP. You'll swear you wrapped the area ,trying to convince someone you did.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster