I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy finish
Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 12:23AM

Thie wekend I did a cardinal sin and finished a very timeconsuning butt wrao with only RESIN and no hardner. I was in a hurry and getting more tired by the minute. Is thr any wsy to salvage my butt wrao or is it just a razor blade and start over. Don;t know if proper coat on topo will hlp it finish, or maybe a top coat of hardner will work. IUATED.aNY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy finish
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: August 01, 2016 01:44AM

Robert I'm not sure, but since both the resin and the harder are soluble in denatured alcohol, you might try to remove the resin with denatured alcohol. After thorough drying you could then try another batch of epoxy finish.

I'm not sure this will work, because I don't use epoxy finish on a regular basis. I prefer Perma Gloss. What you could do is make a simple wrap on a piece of rod blank and coat it with jus the resin and then try the denatured alcohol. Good Luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 07:02AM

Remove as much as possible using NO chemical agents. Rotate; remove finish' rotate 90 degrees remove finish. GENTLY wipe the wraps with a hard plastic surface (edge of an old credit card works)... GENTLY as you don't want to move any threads if possible - if you do you should be able to nudge them back in place. GENTLY dab the wraps with a tack cloth (not paper towels) Clearly if you applied a color preserver prior to the epoxy this will go better. Once you have removed as much as possible re-apply a new coat of finish. The only drawback may be some blotching. This has worked for me in the past. Work slowly & you can save the wrap

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2016 11:57AM

Robert,
I have had that happen to me once.

I just put the rod on the power wrapper and put some alcohol in a cup and used a tooth brush to clean the resin from the rod and blank.

For any of the thread that was moved during this process, it was cut off and rewrapped. The rod was left to sit for a week, to insure that it was 100% dried out, and then recoated with a correctly mixed thread finish and the rod came out just fine.

No sense in pussy footing around to get the resin off of the blank. Any unmixed resin that you leave on the blank will be a soft or bad spot in the final rod build. So, spin up the rod, on the wrapper, use the tooth brush and alcohol and rewrap any and all guides that get messed up with the cleanup.

Be safe

Posted by: Owen Spalding (101.160.10.---)
Date: August 01, 2016 11:24PM

to be sure to be sure.......razor blade it..ouch.!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster