I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a blank.
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: July 10, 2016 11:34AM

I'm looking for a "fast" to "extra fast" (yes, very subjective) 7' to 7'3" blank with a line rating of 4-10 or thereabout; capable of lure weight of 1/8 to 5/8 oz for tossing topwater plugs to stripers & red fish. I've got a couple of Bushido spin-jig blanks at 6'9" but would like one a little longer. I know I can extend the Bushido - and I have extended one already but would like to find a blank that doesn't need modifications. I would prefer information from people who have experience with the recommended blank

Thanks in advance,
Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a blank.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2016 02:26PM

I would think a 7 to 7'6" light popping blank would be a good match.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 10, 2016 02:59PM

I built a Rainshadow IP 903 for a friend, and have used my IP 843 for quite a few years. They are very respsonsive RX 7 material, feels better. They are being closed out for the new REvelation line, which I'm sure will include similar blanks. These are called Mod/Fast, which all the popping blanks I've seen are, but they are very nice for just the stuff you are looking for. I have done just about everything with mine and it handles all very well, including giving a very fast twitch to jerkbaits. If you decide on one, the Rod Room has them. I have CCS numbers for both, if you're interested.

Posted by: Mark Hogquist (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 11, 2016 02:55AM

How much power do you want? The Phenix umbx ml casting blank may fit your needs. It has the numbers your after and will handle and load 1/8. I know the medium light has about 470 grams of power, so a full power less should put you around 370. These blanks are fast with tip angles around 65 and 66. I'd also look at the Point Blank 701mf. About the same power and tip speed as the umbx. They also have the PB731mlf. Has about the same power with a little slower action which may work better for keeping those fish pinned on treble hooks. The Phenix M1 MX72ml would also fit the bill, but I'm partial to Phenix blanks. I also really, really like the Mhx high mod popping blanks. Fast tip with a smooth progressive action. What do the topwater you'll be throwing weigh? Is the sweet spot you're looking for a half ounce? How much money do you want to spend? My topwater rod is an Mhx high mod 844 popping blank.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 11, 2016 08:10AM

Ken,
topwater lures up to 5/8's with redfish and stripers as target and lines weights of 4-10 lbs should not be in the same sentence.
Unless you are fishing very closed waters where you know the maximum anticipated fish size can never get too big, you and the fish are in for a world of hurt. Like a power station cooling pond etc.
In summer it would be impossible to successfully catch and release almost any of the fish. You would have to play them until they roll on their sides and few survive that.
I have caught 80lb+ fish on 8lb line and landed them on the east coast of Africa. That was the price of admission to the 10-2-1 club.
Not one lived.
But if i had to do it i would cut up one of the S glass blanks made for topwaters. The RFLE is my go to- the lighter of the two 7ft blanks and cut off the butt leaving the tip soft and i have landed Jacks up to 35lbs + on them.
1/8 would be a problem loading but 1/4 works on them.
I only have one of the S glass blanks from Rodgeeks and that is great but it would break 6 lb test on most hooksets/strikes.
The lightest one makes a nice popping cork topwater setup but you have to use braid or you will miss lots of strikes. 20lb braid.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2016 08:24AM

Most of my builds are saltwater builds for cobia, pups and specks. For pups and specks my go to is the American Tackle CB72 8/15. It's great for throwing 1/8-5/8 lures. Most of my customers use 1/4oz and 3/8oz lures when fishing this blank.

Date: July 11, 2016 09:08AM

Thank you all. I will order up the AmTak CB72 and look for both the Rainshadow blanks (903 843) if I can find them. If not I'll go with these Revelation (RX7's): REVIP70ML
7'
6-12 LB
1/8-3/8 OZ
ML
REVIP70M
7'
8-14 LB
1/4-5/8 OZ
M

And maybe this one as well:

REVS72ML
7'2"
6-12 LB
1/8-3/8 OZ
FAST
ML

Lou - yes, these are smallish fish (20-24") so bringing them in / releasing them shouldn't be too much of a problem. Question: RFLE? Is this a RodGeeks blank?

Mark - honestly Phenix blanks scare me. I've had customers break them.

In case anyone is wondering... the reason for the question is prompted by our move to New Bern, North Carolina. Most of the builds I've done have been for larger fish in the Chesapeake Bay, tributaries and bridge type structure. Here the 'game' is different. Fishing in the Trent and mid to upper Neuse rivers for most of the year is for smaller fish (around 20") in shallow water (2-4 feet on average ). I have plenty of rods for the lower river, inlet & ocean side and larger red fish. This is now all about adapting for me and a new customer set.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: July 11, 2016 09:55AM

Ken,
no the RFLE is the seeker blank called the Rich Forhan Legend Elite.

The seller is no longer a sponsor i see so will not mention the name.
Those blanks are still my #1 choice for anything with a treble hook on it due to their shock absorbing properties.
Bass or tarpon or snook cannot easily shake hooks loose and they have enough backbone to set the hook in even bony mouths.
But soft enough to absorb shock on paper thin mouth parts too.
If i could only own one rod it would be that with a reel with 300yds 20# braid and a topshot of 3 yds floro. But i own around 100 rods so.......

I meant no disrespect with the 'should not be in the same sentence comment' but the fish i killed were Kob(look them up its an african drum species).
My email address is still kobkilla due to how bad i feel about what i did.

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2016 10:31AM

Ken,
Sceneiders Rod Shop has the 843 and 903 listed on their web site. I know people fish the 843 just south of New Bern in the Cape Fear river and loves them. I have the IP843 that i fish in Snows Cut at Carolina beach for specs and had good luck with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2016 10:35AM by Roger Rierson.

Date: July 11, 2016 03:01PM

Call Schneiders Rod Shop and see if the RX7 's he has on sale include the ones you're interested in. He has posted that he has some on sale.

Date: July 11, 2016 03:29PM

I now see I duped a previous post, sorry. The IP's are listed in his "hot specials" section, and it looks like he has both in stock.

Date: July 11, 2016 03:58PM

a-shopping I will go!
I'll find the RFLE and I did see the sale event from Schneiders YIPPEE.

LOU - I took no offense. I understand stock conservancy and do everything I can to return fish in healthy conditions whenever possible.

Again THANK YOU t o everyone for the information. Most appreciated as it will save me lots of sorting out "almost what I wanted"

Date: July 13, 2016 08:52AM

So ... a mere $250.00 later & now waiting for the blanks to arrive. Likely I'll put AmTak Airwaves on one or more of them as well as AmTak comfort grip 17mm spinning reel seats. I'll shorten the barrel 1/2 - 3/4" & bury the lock down nut under some cork rings for added comfort since one or more of these will see 100+ casts over the course of 2-3 hours of top water plug casting. One will get an AmTak comfort grip casting rod grip that I just may scoop the center out of for rod blank contact.

One more time - Thank you to everyone for the blank information

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster