I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Full cork handle
Posted by: Gavin Frusher (---.range109-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: July 03, 2016 10:12AM

Hi all.

I have only just joined the forum..though i have been reading threads as a guest for sometime now im pleased to finally be able to call on your wealth of experience :-)

I head over to Ireland for some bream fishing with friends every year and this year have decided to go old-skool and build myself a dedicated swingtip rod to take with me. I have stripped the blank ready (im using a 9.5ft old hardy graphite swingtip) and purchased all the bits and pieces through guides and blanks with the help of Gregg.

I have a couple of quick questions im hoping someone can offer advice on. Im fitting a full length (22") cork handle and have taken what i thought would be the easiest route with 2x 2" flared ends and an 18" single piece centre. Im using graphite sliding reel bands. The blank on the hardy is pretty slim at about 12mm and the pre-bored corks centre hole is about 14 so i need to build up the blank before i fit it. Im considering two ways...

1. Masking tape..would need a couple of wraps around. Some recommend it but others say if it gets wet through the corks it will lose adhesion. I wondered if a thin smear or epoxy on the blank first and between layers will do the trick and stop it from degrading over time
2. Fiberglass tissue paper ...cut into 1" long strips and wrapped around..again would use epoxy to fix and between layers as its about the same thickness as masking tape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly i will be fitting fuji single leg guides 12 down to 6 (apart from a single three leg butt). Was intending using simple black Gudebrod A grade nylon for the whippings but have realised over the last few days that you just cant find it anymore. What is the best equivalent nylon? I do have two spools of grade d gudebrod but figured it a little thick for my purpose?

Thanks everyone...Gav :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 10:21AM by Gavin Frusher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Full cork handle
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 10:38AM

Gav

Nothing wrong with using masking tape or fiberglass tape. The tape bushings serve two purposes, the first of which is to center the grip or seat on the blank, Additionally the tape bushings are the structures around which the adhesive forms fillets from the blank to the grip or seat. The woven fiberglass tape is arguably the better choice as it permits adhesive to both form fillets and permits the adhesive to enter the structure of the tape. My thinking is the more, relatively narrow tape bushings the better. Not certain how the tape bushings might get wet through the cork provided the adhesive is applied evenly and in sufficient quantity to fill the voids.

Everyone has their favorite nylon. I primarily use ProWrap as it has a wide selection of color choices. And have recently use the Fuji ultra poly thread. Yes, size D is a bit thick and not as aesthetically pleasing.

Date: July 03, 2016 10:48AM

Thanks Donald.

As i will only be gluing cork to the blank (no reel 'seat' ) i figured on completely covering the area to which the cork will be fitted. Would you still recommend multiple 'bushings' instead with say 1 " masking tape then 1" gap etc along its length?.

Thanks...Gav

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 11:38AM

That ought to work resulting in about 18 adhesive fillets. Do mix enough adhesive to slightly overfill the gaps, rotate the cork as you push it into place, and clean up any drips and excess adhesive with alcohol. Epoxy paste adhesive will tend to stay put and be easier to work with over the 18" while sliding the grip into place.

Date: July 03, 2016 11:47AM

Cheers buddy...appreciated :-)

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 12:13PM

If you are interested in the lightest grip then I would consider using sections of rigid poly foam reel seat shim material using similar width/spacing as masking tape. If weight is not an issue, then masking tape is probably the easiest, and is reliable. Make sure that each tape section is totally encapsulated in epoxy, as was mentioned earlier.

Date: July 03, 2016 12:29PM

Thanks Michael.

Date: July 03, 2016 04:32PM

Cheers guys. Got the bulk of the handle fitted today. Went with the multiple bushings using fibreglass mat and rod-dancer 15min epoxy paste. Really happy with the result. Just need to turn the corks down when its set from 25mm to 22.5 to fit the reel rings before fitting the flared ends.

My usual suppliers appear to have the fuji ultra poly thread or fishhawk nylon as the only choices in black grade a thread. Though i have some rod-dancer colour preserver in the kit i bought i figured if using black it would be a step i could miss out?

Being polyester does the fuji ultra behave any differently from nylon? What would be your first choice for a beginner?

Thanks again ...Gav

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2016 07:11PM

Poly does not stretch as much as nylon, but it has better UV resistance. It works very well.

I have used Fish Hawk, Pac Bay, Gudebrod, Pro thread and they all work well.

When I arbor up a grip as you are using I will use masking tape. Near the ends, I use narrower masking tape, Then towards the center I use wider - like 2 inch masking tape. In all cases, I separate each roll of tape by about 1/16th of an inch, that is well filled with epoxy to form the bond of the grip to the blank. I have never had an issue with a grip coming loose using this method.

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2016 07:13PM by roger wilson.

Date: July 04, 2016 08:31AM

Thanks Roger...have ordered some Fishhawk today in 'A' . :-)

Gav

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 05, 2016 09:19AM

If you need to take up a small area for the cork grip to fit the blank, consider using a spiraled thread wrap for that purpose. There are various sized threads which allow you to take up space as needed, and you can even spiral up and then back down to double the effective thickness.

Date: July 05, 2016 11:01AM

Cheers Tom :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster