I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Lightest Handle Bass Casting Rod
Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2016 04:39AM

I just weighed a CFX Composite Grip set which is a carbon fiber over carbon infused foam core. For a casting split grip set they weigh 11 grams. The 4" mid split grip for casting rods is 8 grams and the 2.5" rear butt grip is 3 grams. The Fuji EVA butt cap is 3.5 grams so the total for a split grip setup is 14.5 grams. This should give you a ballpark figure of weight for carbon fiber grips.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2016 08:04AM

Rich, I only build for myself, and on every rod I've built thus far, I've used EVA foam grips. EVA foam is light, easy to work with, I like the way it feels, especially when wet, and IMO is more easily cared for than cork. Plus I like the way they look.

Most of the rods I've built thus far have either a gloss black finish, or as with the Immortal line of blanks, (which I am in love with) a titanium chrome colored finish on the blank, so black EVA goes extremely well with them.

I've read quite a few threads on this site where a member has questioned what kind of material other members like for grips. EVA gets what I think is a bad rap to some extent. Not because it's more sensitive than people think. Because it isn't, and I'd be foolish to say it is. But other than when I'm casting, I don't hold any part of the handle. Sensitivity to me, means nothing during the casting process. Sensitivity only matters when you're actually fishing the bait. And when I'm fishing a bait, be it a crankbait, jerkbait, spinnerbait, whatever .... my left hand is palming the reel. All of my fingers are on the reel seat, ahead of the trigger. The only part of my hand that touches the rear grip is the very butt of my hand where it joins the wrist.

Due to the way I hold the reel, I don't feel I lose any sensitivity because of the material I'm using for grips.

I will say that my thinking on the latter sentence may change a bit because of my experience with the MVT reel seat. Due to my experience with my factory rods, I didn't think the reel seat made much of a difference as far as sensitivity goes. I have factory rods that have Fuji ECSM and TCSM reel seats on them, and I honestly can't tell the difference between them when it comes to which is more sensitive. The MVT seat is IMO, worlds ahead of them.

If the MVT seat is that much more sensitive, and I personally think it is) then perhaps, despite how little of my hand actually touches a rear grip, perhaps I'd see a marked difference in sensitivity using a foam core carbon sleeved grip like those from Riley Rods, or the CFX grips that Mud Hole offers.

My next planned build is going to be a flipping/pitching rod that I'll be building on a North Fork Composites IM blank. I'm going to purchase a couple of foam cores and carbon fiber sleeves from Riley Rods, to make the rear grips for that rod. I figure I might as well see if the hype is true. It sure is for the MVT reel seat.

At least I think it is.

Oh, and in addition, in case anyone was wondering what reels I used for comparison purposes in my prior post. The older reel was a Curado 200D, the newer reel, a Curado 200 I.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2016 08:20AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 29, 2016 02:55PM

Very good point on casting rod sensitivity, holding the reel during retrieve.

Posted by: Rich Henderson (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2016 12:07AM

David, Thank you for taking the time to explain this to us, and I have to agree. What I wanted to know has been answered in great detail here and I appreciate it. I have several rods with MVT reel seats as well and like them equally, when asked about a grip on a casting rod, I agree 100% it's personal preference, but in this case I have a client that likes to push the envelope and is always seeking something better if available. He focused mostly on the handle configuration, thus my reasoning for asking the question.

I've been talking to him, sharing some of the information shared here and I think I have him convinced to go with a traditional cork split grip because that's what he likes the best, but with that said I have decided to build 2 rods exactly the same, same components except the rear grip, where I plan to build the second rod with carbon fiber over foam grips, that way I can see for myself the difference in weight, balance, feel, sensitivity etc. I plan to let him be the judge as well, then if he likes the Carbon Fiber grips we can always build him another, it's a win win for both of us.

Since I have started this quest, I have another friend who likes full rear grips with a fore grip and he has said he would like to have a rod built with a full carbon fiber handle as well. So in summary I want to thank everyone who shared or gave input on this subject, it's been very informative for me and I hope some of the other members have found some good info in it as well. I will try to get pictures of both rods and would be happy to share our results after these guys have had time to fish them and can give me some feedback.

Thanks again.
Rich

Posted by: Rich Henderson (---.static.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 05, 2016 03:25PM

Chad N Wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just weighed a CFX Composite Grip set which is a
> carbon fiber over carbon infused foam core. For a
> casting split grip set they weigh 11 grams. The
> 4" mid split grip for casting rods is 8 grams and
> the 2.5" rear butt grip is 3 grams. The Fuji EVA
> butt cap is 3.5 grams so the total for a split
> grip setup is 14.5 grams. This should give you a
> ballpark figure of weight for carbon fiber grips.

Chad sorry to bother you, but need to clarify a few things.

Carbon Fiber Composite Grip set weighs ? 11 Grams I'm assuming this is a split grip set?
Then you say for a split grip set with 4" mid, 2.5" rear and but cap weigh 14.5 grams is this a cork split grip set up?

I guess what I'd like to know is the following: How much each of these weigh.
1. Full Cork handle 10.5" length
2. Full Carbon Fiber Handle 10.5" length

Assuming these split grip set ups are equal in size & length or same measurements.
3. Split Grip set up EVA grips
4. Split Grip set up Cork grips
5. Split Grip Carbon Fiber grips
6. Split Grip Winn grips

I'll be ordering supplies this week, and would really like to know the weights of these grip configurations

Thanks again.

Posted by: Chad N Wilson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2016 01:55AM

I should have been more clear. The carbon fiber grip pieces are 11 grams total. When you add the EVA butt cap to the mid and rear carbon fiber grips the total weight is 14.5 grams. A CFX 10" full carbon fiber grip weighs 17 grams. Not sure the weight of a similar size cork grips as I don't have one here to test.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster