I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass casting rod guide size
Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-133.myvzw.com)
Date: June 08, 2016 04:14PM

Hi all.. I am about to build a Bass jerkbait rod, spiral wrapped, based on the Seeker React Pro blank #SBS706. I do not trust myself yet on selecting guide sizes. I plan on cutting the blank down 4" or so, a bit from the tip, and more from the butt. Thinking 7 guides and a tip top.

This will have a Calcutta Conquest 100 on it, most likely running 8lb fluoro.

Thinking a size 10 stripper, and size 4 running guides to the end.

Does this sound okay? Any suggestions?

Thank you all, in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass casting rod guide size
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2016 06:20PM

Chris,
Why are you cutting material from the tip of the blank.

Guide sizes sound fine. However, I would likely add a #8 or $6 guide as a transition guide between the butt and the running guides.

Be safe

Date: June 08, 2016 08:33PM

Seeker makes maybe 8 production rods of different lengths, and different actions from only 3 blanks. Someone at Seeker, today, told me that for the particular rod that I was inquiring about, that they cut a tiny bit off the tip, and more off of the butt. I do not want their production rod, but I want their blank, and a similar rod with a few tweaks, and different components. This is a 7'0" blank, and I want a 6'7" finished rod.

As for using larger transition guides, that was my gut feeling before I built my first spiral wrapped rods. One builder cautioned me against doing that, as a smaller guide runs closer to the blank, giving less lateral stress to the rod, and that it is just not necessary. Another very successful builder who builds all his casting rods spiral, just said 'no'. Not necessary. I trusted, built that way, and both of those rods cast like absolute rockets. Mainly due to the nice reels not being impeded by the guides. In the static test, with a 0, 60, 120, 180 layout, the line looks great with the smaller guides. It seemed almost counter intuitive to me, but I am a believer now.

Was mainly wondering if a 10 stripper is a good choice, and if size 4 running guides are too big, or too small.

Date: June 08, 2016 08:45PM

" Someone at Seeker, today, told me that for the particular rod that I was inquiring about, that they cut a tiny bit off the tip."

This was in the comment you posted above.

I agree, that to increase the power of the rod to cut a "tiny bit" off of the tip of the rod. I have done this frequently in the past.

BUT = my definition of "tiny" is 1/4 ,1/2, or 3/4 inch of blank from the tip. I virtually never cut as much as an inch off of the tip much less 4 inches.

I suggest that you take a rod that you want to emulate and use a caliper to measure the diameter of the tip. Also, on a feel basis, compare your test rod, to the new blank, Try bending the rod, by pushing at different points on the tip, starting at the tip and then moving down 1/4 inch at a time.

For many blanks, the removal as much as one inch turns a great blank into a pool cue. You might also consider just building the rod without cutting anything off of the tip. At least tie the guides on the blank, and fish with it before doing the guide coating.

If you find that the tip is too soft, try trimming 1/4 inch, put the tip back on and fish some more. If it is still not enough, then trim it 1/4 inch more and put the tip back on and fish again.

Remember, you can cut the rod 16 times at 1/4 inch increments before you get to the 4 inch cut that you mention in the initial post.

However, if you trim too much off of the tip, you can't glue it back on the blank.

For many rods, the real feel and sensitivity and fishability of the blank is because of the taper in the final 1 foot of blank. Start cutting into that tip - a tiny bit - and the action can began to change very drastically.

Be safe

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2016 08:53PM

Seeker doesn't trim their raw blanks, so you typically need to remove an inch or two to get to the advertised length. About a half inch off the tip of that blank gave me the tip I was looking for on a cranking rod. A wee bit more may be in line for a jerk bait rod. Then take whatever is needed from the butt to get to the desired length. I think this is what Chris has in mind in the way I read the post.

With the 100 sized reel, you shouldn't need anything much taller than a double foot 8 or 6 for the butt guide, and then 4s to the tip. I used a double foot 6 in conjunction with a Cardiff 100a, which should be similar in size to the Calcutta 100s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 08:54PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Date: June 08, 2016 09:23PM

I was told today that they trimmed them. Maybe he was wrong.

Anyway, yes, it was not a cut of anywhere near 4". I was hearing 'under or up to 1"' That a size 6 tip top would fit slightly better at the length he was speaking of. Yes, you are correct Joe, the balance is cut from the butt.

Again, this was from the horses mouth, not mine.

I am planning a double foot stripper, and single foots for the rest. All titanium.

Date: June 08, 2016 09:51PM

Sorry Chris.
I reread your post.

You said, trim 4 inches from the rod --- total.

A bit from the tip and the rest from the butt.

My bad on a poor read of your initial post.

Be safe

Date: June 08, 2016 09:52PM

Ah no worries at all. Thank you for contributing. I appreciate it greatly.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 09, 2016 10:00AM

It would all be so easy if using CCS.

I do not EVER cut anything off the tip. Better to just find the exact blank you want, or cut a little off the butt only, IMHO. With the multitude of blanks out there, I've had no problems finding the right stuff without resorting to cutting.

A little detail, with CCS you can simulate what effect trimming the blank from either end will have by just putting a guide on the expected trimmed tip position and using that for the test. Similar adjustment for the butt. With the numbers you can see how minor or major your trims will be.

Date: June 09, 2016 10:59AM

Michael,
There are many reasons to trim a particular blank.
You might want to work with a particular manufacturer.
You might want to have a blank constructed of a particular material that is not available in the exact blank that you wish.
You might be able to get a specific blank at significant price differential that may be useful with strategic trimming.

There is absolutely nothing wrong at all wrong with trimming a blank with the understanding that if you do not do it correctly, you may very well ruin the blank for any sort of fishing.

But, Michael, as long as you can find the blank that you want at the price that you are willing to pay, it is certainly a good way to work with the industry.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster