I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Heat bulb for bubbles
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 06:17PM

Phil...guides in question do have full underwraps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 06, 2016 11:10PM

If I have underwraps I coat them first. I know many don't. Could be a offshore thing. After I wrap the guides, I coat them and add a "blob" of finish to the space between the guide feet. I hand rotate 180 degrees and wait to see if sags form, wicking away the extra. I do this a few times before moving the rod to a drying station.

These days I care more about weight and only want the minimum amount of finish to adequately protect the wraps over the long haul. Why should I build up the area between the guide feet with a bunch of extra epoxy that serves no purpose other than to give that "encased in a glass tube" look? Each to their own of course. Just as the trend (for me) has been towards smaller and less different size guides so it has been in this area as well. In short my rods don't look like they did 20 years ago.

There is no right and wrong here. At most there is a decision between performance vs. looks....and that is a personal choice....as some will always put a premium on looks and performance is hard to qualify.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: June 07, 2016 12:50AM

I did that with one of my two offshore a I am currently building, the other I didn't. But even the one I coated first, I still put epoxy between the guide feet. I will absolutely consider skipping this step next time. I like the idea. The other I haven't started finishing yet. Probably Wednesday I will put the first coat on. I only put some urethane finish on the under wraps to seal the Madeira thread's silicone in, so I don't get the dreaded fish eyes. I wrapped the guides with black nylon size a and gave it another thin coat of urethane just to hold it in position until I epoxy it. The final over wrap in size d black nylon has not coating and will just get epoxy. I am going to follow flex coat's recommendation to thin with acetone and apply as a primer coat. I'll wait 24 hours before applying the full strength overcoats and try some of the tips I learned on here.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 06:19PM

If you are using a high build finish -- Use two coats of a light finish It flows better -- does not hold bubbles
After the first coat check for BOO BOO's fix Then the next coat will look great
Good light helps to see anything in the finish Also Baby Sit the finish in order to to fix any thing that comes up -- Heck going out with a girl - you have to pay attention If you care

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: wayne fowlkes (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 08:47PM

I do not go on this board very often but I will try to help U first i have been building custom rods for over 59 years I have tried many things to remove bubbles from finish the thing that works the best for me is a heat gun. if U turn it on the low setting & have a very clean environment U should not have any problems. you need to move the heat gun very fast with the rod turning do not hold it in one spot..mixing the finish has a lot to do with bubbles when you start mixing DO NOT TAKE THE MIXING STICK OFF OF THE BOTTOM OF THE CUP when you have mixed the finish until it has come back clear which can takes 3 min pore it into a pie plate this will give you more time to work with it. i use a Lamenue tray lined with aluminum foil that way after you have a build of finish you can remove it & reline the tray again I hope I have helped solve some of your problems.
Best Regards Wayne ( Wayne's Custom Tackle INC.LLC. )

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2016 10:14PM

Wayne,
Thanks for the comments. I have learned to do exactly the same thing over the years.

When I am doing finish work the heat gun is glued to my hand.

Take care

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster