I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread wrapper question
Posted by: Thomas C Kuzia (32.216.23.---)
Date: May 31, 2016 10:09AM

I build a hand thread wrapper and did 1 rod on it,,, rod in photo section under Tommy K.
I've looked at most of the hand wrappers on the web along with several videos on thread wrapping.
Tom Kirkman has a You Tube video called Easy Wrap Start and I noticed that he has a springy wire "guide" the thread goes through.It looks like a wand for blowing bubbles with the round part bent 90 degrees from the straight part.
What does this "wand" do?
It has a good bit of spring to it as he wraps the thread.
I can also see that the thread spool has a tension spring/washers/nut to set the tension but am baffled as to what the "wand" is there for?

Another question,,,is it better to wrap with the thread coming from under the rod or over the rod or is that personal preference?

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread wrapper question
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 10:23AM

That springy-thing is there to keep tension on the thread in case you have to unwrap it will not loosen up the whole wrap I like over Gives me more control of the thread Whatever you like try both

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 31, 2016 10:49AM

Thanks Bill,,,,
The little I've wrapped so far I've done from under but will try doing some wraps from over!
Tom

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 02:42PM

Thomas,
When I took my first rod building class, I was taught to use a thread tension device that was located behind and above the rod. So, this is the system that I used then and still use today after building many many rods.

It is simple and works well. By having the thread behind the rod, I can have the rod right at the edge of the bench for easy access when wrapping and the thread, with its place behind the rods is never in the way.

I also use a cantilevered rod rest. This allows me to bring my hand directly up and under the rod if needed for wrapping.

Be safe

Date: May 31, 2016 07:45PM

Thanks Roger,,,
I have a LOT to learn and a lot iof thinking to do as well!

Tom

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: June 01, 2016 09:52AM

As long is the rod is in the thread path somewhere after the tension device, the thread can approach the rod from behind or in front. Personal preference.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: June 02, 2016 06:21AM

Thanks Chris
I started my wrapper yesterday but don't do well working with wood so it will take a while !

Date: June 02, 2016 10:58AM

A couple of screws and a through hole

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: June 03, 2016 09:06AM

That's a pretty unique idea for a spring tensioner Chris!
I think trying to explain how much tension is needed is pretty hard to do.
On my first wraps I had the string so tight I could play a note on it when I plucked it,,,,like a guitar string!

Are the springs on the spools actually used for tension or only to keep the spools from spinning?
I have tons of all sorts of coil springs and I think the ones I was using could be used on a 1958 Buick! LOL
Live and learn! LOL

Does the Teflon tape come loose?
I used electrical shrink wrap but it was hard to get the spools over it so I cut it off.
I got quite a bit done on my hand wrapper but still have a ways to go.
I'm not sure what to put on the wood but I was thinking of using tung oil or Danish oil.
Thanks for the help Chris!
Tom

Date: June 03, 2016 12:15PM

Thomas,
Different strokes for different folks, but I have been using this simple sewing machine style thread tension device for wrapping all of the hundreds of rods that I have built over the years.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

This spring tension device is essentially identical to all of the tension devices used on sewing machines around the world that have sewed all of the clothes on your back and those of family and friends.

It this device works for millions of sewing machines, it will certainly work for wrapping rods.

Simple, uncomplicated and never a hassle with changing thread colors or spools. Set the thread on the stand, run the thread through the guide up the thread path thru the thread tension device and onto the rod.
-----------------
You mention the use of a spring wire to take up the slack if you need to back up the rod to clear a mistake. If I do that, I just flip the reverse switch on the wrapper, grab the thread to keep the thread tight and back up the rod wrap as far as needed to clear the mistake, and then reposition the thread in the thread tension device and pull it tight. Then, flip the reverse switch back on the wrapper and go back to wrapping.

====================
Thread tension device:
[www.mudhole.com]

Drill a slightly undersized hole in the mounting board, and press the tension device into the hole and you are set. I have mine mounted on a 10 inch piece of oak with a pair of brackets on the bottom with a bolt and wing nut to keep the board at the correct angle. It is mounted on a piece of nylon to allow for easy sliding on the rod bench as I wrap.

Lots of systems to use for wrapping rods and they all work.

Be safe

Date: June 03, 2016 12:49PM

Thanks Roger,,,,
I have so many different ideas buzzing around in my head I think my brain is going to go into overload! lol

My major concern right now is how tight is too tight and how loose is too loose!
Somewhere in between is just right!
Thanks again,,,
Tom

Date: June 03, 2016 12:59PM

Thomas
Try a search about that tension devise that Roger mentions No disrespect to him but I have read that it tends to eat up metallic thread You may be better with tension on the spool
Here is an old picture of mine Not pretty but works well The yellow plastic ( now aluminum ) is there to keep the wing not from turning Check the photo page for more pictures of wrappers
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 03, 2016 01:35PM

Bill,
Agreed that the tension device does eat up metallic thread.

I only use metallic thread for trim and never more than a foot at a time. So, I just cut the thread off of the spools and wrap the trim as needed with no tension device used other than my hands. It works just fine.

But yes, do not use this tension device for metallic thread.

Be safe

Date: June 03, 2016 06:49PM

Thank you Bill and Roger,,,,
I'm going with the spring loaded spools and that wire "thingy" that looks like a wire for blowing bubbles.
I'm not a patient man so I'm trying my best to use what I have here.
I may have to try different ways and order a sewing machine tensioner to get the tension right but for now I'll use what I have here.

From what I understand about tension,,,,if you can adjust a guide after wrapping it ,the tension is correct and if you can't move the guide the tension is too tight.

I'll do some practice wraps until I find the correct tension.

Thanks again for all the help!
Tom

Date: June 06, 2016 08:44AM

Thomas:

The Teflon tape does not come off if it is wrapped so that it tightens when the spool is turning. The springs do apply tension to the spool. I use a plastic washer and to allow the spool to turn without the spring digging into the body of the spool. Since that picture was taken, I have started using rare earth magnets for tension rather than springs. The magnets do not transfer the rotational motion of the spool to the knob or wingnut, so there is no need for a locking mechanism for the knob or wing nut.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: June 06, 2016 05:23PM

I keep looking at magnets in Home-depot But have yet to try They may just work better then what I have now

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 08, 2016 10:09AM

I use 4 of the 1/4" hole magnets(two pair apposing)
[www.leevalley.com]
with cup washers:
[www.leevalley.com]

Single magnets are available that may be better (more force) than the pairs, but the supplier is local to me.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: June 08, 2016 07:40PM

I finished the wrapper and tried it today.
It needs a tweak here and there but being a total newbie to all of this I think it will be OK.
If I could tweak myself as easy as the wrapper I would be in great shape!
Thanks for all the input and help????
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster