I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tapered dowels for the sully rod dryer
Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.mmlkcmtc01.com.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 18, 2016 08:02PM

I have a few of the Sully rod dryers, and have misplaced a some of the tapered dowels (I'm not quite sure on the correct name of these) that come with the dryer.

Does anyone know where I could purchase some more of these dowel things, or any ideas on a good alternative that I could use?

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tapered dowels for the sully rod dryer
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 03:47AM

Dave,
Go to the hardware store and buy some hardwood dowels that are as the largest size needed for the dowel.

Then, if you need to taper the dowel, first cut the dowel to length, and then chuck the dowel into a variable speed drill. Then, hold the spinning dowel against a belt sander and add as much taper as is required by the dryer.

[]

I assume that you might be talking about the dowels that are used to hold the binders for the rod grip? You can use the dowel and taper it as suggested, or you could simply use a flat head screw of the correct size and just screw it into the wood.

For example, on my drum dryer, I use an allen head screw on the drums to hold the binders which hold the rods.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2016 03:49AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:45AM

I assume you are talking about the wooden ferrule adapters for dying the tip sections of two price flyrods. Angler's Workshop sells these dryers so they may be able to help you find these adapters. If not, you could make some using a pieces of blank that fits the ID of the ferrule. In order to fit the rubber chuck of the dryer the butt end of the blank piece will need to be built up, this can be done with tape, cork, wood, ect.
Norm

Posted by: Chris Herrera (---.sub-70-199-152.myvzw.com)
Date: May 21, 2016 01:08PM

Chopsticks will work for some of your rods, and they come free at most places.

Chris

Posted by: Dave Gallenberger (---.mmlkcmtc01.com.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 03:35PM

Got it, thank you guys.

Anglers Workshop said they could probably order some up for me, but I think I will just make some.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 04:08PM

Got any scrap rods you should be able to find a fit

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster