I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding Checks
Posted by: Chuck Blocker (199.249.234.---)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:00AM

Ok, I give up! Please someone help me with this. I measure the rod blank where I want to put the winding check but they never seem to fit. Do I need to take the measurement and convert it or something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding Checks
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:07AM

Measure blank OD in mm and order the next LARGER size. That's as close as you'll get.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:12AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:30PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:42AM

10-4,
Many of the rods are somewhat close in size. As a result, the need for two many different sized checks is reduced. But, i keep about 30 different sizes in the sizes that I may need so that I generally always have the correct diameter on hand.

I generally use the ones that have a bit of stretch, so I like to use one that will just come tight on the blank a few inches above the final location. Then, the check stretches just a bit for a final perfect fit.

In the case of metal checks, I use checks that are a touch larger and will generally have a couple of thicknesses of thread wraps on the blank before sliding the check in place to insure that it stays in place. I also put a couple of drops of glue on the spot to secure the metal checks in their final position.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 19, 2016 11:42AM

Like Roger, I keep s supply and replenish it when I see that I'm getting low. I prefer the metal winding checks. When I build a rod, I wrap thread where the winding check will be. This cushions the blank. When you put tiny dab of epoxy glue on the bottom side of the winding check, the winding check will be fixed in place permanently.

If you only build one or two rods a year, you should ask your supplier to fit a winding check for the rod. I also think you might ask your supplier to include a winding check one size larger and one size smaller to insure you have one that fits best.

Good luck,
Mike Blomme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 11:57AM

10-4 on Michael's advice on ordering 3 checks when ordering a rod blank. Tell the supplier where the check will be located on the blank and have his send along three checks. One the right size, one smaller and one larger to take care of anything that happens along the way.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 07:49PM

Or, with proper design of the components, and preferring really clean design, do without winding checks. Many of the rods I see today look like carnival booths with all the gaudy winding checks. If you cannot get rid of them, and if you, like I, prefer cleaner designs, get the black vinyl checks, which are pretty tolerant of size issues, and after you install them, put a filet of wrap epoxy into that blank to winding check junction so that the winding check almost disappears, and you'll have a nice, clean, elegant rod.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 09:37PM

I also like vinyl winding checks. Easy to install, look good, last forever, and cheap.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:42PM

Great thread for us beginning builders!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster