I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice blanks
Posted by: Clint Crawford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 10:02AM

Pretty much any relevant thread was 2-6 years old, so I figured I'd ask. Might have better luck on an ice fishing forum obviously...

Does anyone make a fair number of ice rods? I'm looking for input on good quality ice blanks. I bought a few MHX blanks to build some ice rods out of, but that's only because my options seemed so few. Are there any other places to buy a good ice rod blank from besides Thorne Bros, MHX, or Janns? I've heard mixed thoughts on Janns so I'm not too keen on buying some of those, and for less than 10 bucks a blank I assumed it's a case of you get what you pay for.

I made one rod from a MHX power noodle. Looks like it could be good, but won't know for sure until next winter. I would have liked a longer blank though.

Are Thorn Bros blanks worth double the price of an MHX? Is there any other companies that sell ice blanks? I have a Tuned Up Custom that I really like, but I haven't been able to find a blank that matches their precision noodle. They don't make their own blanks. Does anyone know where they get their blanks from?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice blanks
Posted by: Randy Kruger (199.254.158.---)
Date: May 16, 2016 01:33PM

The Janns MicroLite blanks are good blanks. I have built a bunch of ice rods on the 31 inch pan fish blank. They are a solid blank with an orange pointed tip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 01:52PM

Clint,
I suggest that for ice fishing that you use only solid fiberglass or graphite blanks.

For stiffer jigging sticks, I use solid graphite. For limper tipped noodle style rods, I prefer the softer and tougher blanks made of fiberglass. I never use a bobber, but rather use fiberglass noodle tipped rods, so that the long soft tip is a great visual indicator without the issues of using bobbers.

Except for Thorne brothers, virtually all of the blanks come out of China or other countries in the far east. I believe that Thorne brothers blanks come from a US company who supplies the raw blanks and then grind the blanks to the design tapers submitted by Thorne brothers.

There is a sporting goods company in upper Michigan that supplies very good ice rods, and similar blanks and supplies for the industry. Do an internet search and you will find it. All imported items but of very good quality.

Be safe

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: May 18, 2016 01:22PM

Sportsmen direct has a nice variety of blanks...

What exactly are you looking to build? I can point you in the right direction

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2016 03:21PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Clint Crawford (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 09:50AM

Mat,

Do you know where I could find a blank with an extra fast tip (MHX calls it a power noodle, tuned up customs calls theirs a precision noodle) in 32"? I made one on the MHX version but I'm 99% sure I will end up selling it to someone as it's too short for my liking. The MHX power noodle is 26"

I'm also looking for a good blank for lake trout, and probably one for walleye

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2016 10:54AM

Clint,
If you want an extra fast tip, you can take any of the solid graphite or glass blanks and sand the tip as needed to create the tip with the speed that you want with a bit of sand paper and time. Easy to do.

For lake trout, and big walleye, I prefer using the solid Batson glass blanks sold in the saltwater section of their blanks. I leave the tips alone on these 6', or 6'6" blanks and cut from the butt of the blank to end up with the rod length that I or the customer wants. These blanks are about perfect for this job. Unbreakable, perfect action for these larger fish and easy to make in any length that you want up to 6'6".

Lots of folks these days want 40-50 inch long rods if they fish outside in the cold of winter. Also, for these hardy folks, I use larger guides. Generally, nothing smaller than a size 10 guide to cut down on the icing up of the guides.

These same hardy folks beat the ends of the rods against the ice when ice builds up, so the guides and tip top have to be tough to resist the use that these rods receive.

Be safe

Posted by: Dan Ertz (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: May 20, 2016 12:58AM

Clint Crawford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mat,
>
> Do you know where I could find a blank with an
> extra fast tip (MHX calls it a power noodle, tuned
> up customs calls theirs a precision noodle) in
> 32"? I made one on the MHX version but I'm 99%
> sure I will end up selling it to someone as it's
> too short for my liking. The MHX power noodle is
> 26"
>
> I'm also looking for a good blank for lake trout,
> and probably one for walleye

If you like the MHX power noodle other than the length, it's easy to extend one to whatever length you want. I extended one to 32 inches with a piece of graphite rod blank on the butt end.

Also do a search for "Al Dente Noodle Blanks" for ready to use noodle blanks up to 36 inches.

Posted by: Marie Simmer (107.77.111.---)
Date: May 21, 2016 10:15PM

DHCustomrods.com

32" eglass noodle...I made one for myself this year and loved it...the I broke it...will be making a few more for next year! And they come in different colors....very nice rod blanks.

Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: May 23, 2016 03:53PM

If you want the longer noodle type rod the DH Al Dente is the way to go. If you're into sanding your own then the Sportsman's Direct fiberglass blanks offer a very nice base for creating a custom noodle - you can go with a 36" extreme taper for example and sand from tip to about 9" down the blank to create a noodle type action with plenty of backbone and length. Their shorter 28" IHS ML Glass blank can be whittled into an amazing bullwhip style rod and then extended as Dan explained.

If you want a finesse style walleye blank look at the 32" UL Quiverstick from MHX - out of the box it fits the light walleye role very well and can work a spoon or jig with precision. This blank has a lot of sensitivity and great backbone. For something a little heavier (ripping lipless cranks, bigger jigs/spoons) the 32" carbon extreme taper from SDI is perfect as delivered.

Once you get into sanding blanks the sky is the limit. I would strongly suggest keeping a spreadsheet with data for blank diameter per inch from tip.
Here is an example [flic.kr]

To sand a blank, simply chuck it into a cordless drill that's clamped to a work bench. I usually start out with 150 grit paper to do the faster work and step down to 220 for finer details and light tips. If you want to clear a glass rod then you can finish up with a 400-600 grit paper. I keep most rods at the 220 finish, however. Put a small piece of sand paper in your hand, pinch the blank between your fingers and pull from butt to tip. Do not allow heat to build up or you will weaken the blank. Keep a caliper handy to check the diameter regularly. You can mark the blank with a sharpie or paint pen when needing to concentrate on a small, specific area. Clean up with alcohol when complete to remove the dust and any markings. You can shoot the finished blanks with spray paint, clear coat or rod finish as needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster