I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Airwave guide measurements
Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: May 14, 2016 11:09PM

Trying Airwave guides for the first time. The directions say to place the stripper guide 19.5" from the fully extended spool to the primary ring of the stripper guide. When the guide is set on the blank, though, the primary ring (which I'm assuming is the larger outer ring) sits at a pretty steep angle. What point on that ring do I measure to? The point closest to the reel, which would be the back or bottom edge? The top/highest edge? Or do I split the difference and measure from the center?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Airwave guide measurements
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2016 05:46AM

Try it in all three positions. Tape the guide in place at each of the positions and do some test casts. See if it makes any difference. If it does, place it where it works best. If it doesn't make any difference, suit yourself.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 15, 2016 07:46AM

I'd just measure to the center. At some point the differences are too slight to be of practical concern.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: May 15, 2016 09:07AM

On the spinning rod guides, From the lip on the spinning reel, I measure from the highest point of the large guide ring, (19 1/2 inches.) The most critical measurements are from the 1st guide to the 2nd guide, and from the 2nd guide to the 3rd guide (first running guide). The highest point on each guide gives me a constant to measure from. One thing I know about them though, is that you will notice a real difference in how the rod cast... Hope you are trying a Bushido Blank..LOL Good Luck.

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 15, 2016 09:37AM

I have typically measured from the top of the guide and it always seems to work out well. One thing to take into consideration is whether or not you will be using different reels on the rod. Differnt reels have different profiles and it can change the position of the spool, so if you plan to use various different reels, measure with the one you will use most often.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 15, 2016 04:07PM

Roger has the right idea. The guides, their placement, the rod, the line, the reel, and the caster combine to determine the best choice of each. Results are the best guide.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: May 15, 2016 05:49PM

American Tackle assured me that moving the stripper +/ - an inch or so will not effect performance. Maintain recommended spacing for next 2 and static test from there. Measure from spool lip to highest point of large ring. (the foot being the lowest.)

Posted by: Kevin Kelly (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 07:40AM

Thanks for the responses and the help!

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: May 16, 2016 09:08AM

Some great responses there for you Kevin...... There is a safe margin of error when measuring out the MicroWave system.

Some builders measure along the blank, some at an angle from the reel to the stripper, some measure to the middle of the large ring, some to the top.

Any of the above will generally be with in a half of an inch of any other....so you are safe with any.

Let us know how those work out for you.... I am sure you will love them.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster