I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Positioning of Rod Wrapper/Dryer Rollers
Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 12, 2016 08:10PM

As I make final preparations to build a wrapper/dryer, I would like to ask if there are any advantages/disadvantages in the way the rollers are positioned with respect to each other. I see from various designs that some rollers are aligned and some are offset. If you built your own rod wrapper/dryer, how did you position yours and why, or does it really even matter?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Positioning of Rod Wrapper/Dryer Rollers
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 07:38AM

Lower two offset and overlapping - top roller drop down between the two lower rollers. That will allow you to better control thin tip sections.

Here's a photo from the Library:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 07:45AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.rtp.zs.ncren.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 07:59AM

Ken,

Thanks for the reply and the explanation as to why. The photo was a nice touch since I did not realize the degree to which the rollers were overlapping until now. It was perfect. Thanks again!

Date: May 13, 2016 08:04AM

You're welcome. The more they overlap the more control you will have - especially on thin blanks

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 09:01AM

Ken,
Your answer was correct for some situations.

However, I have found that for very thin blanks like ice rod noodle blanks I much prefer to have the rollers abut each other. I set them so that there is about .003 inches between the rollers.
Then, I do offset the top roller to the side between them to allow for a good clamping effect on the blank.

I find that if I offset the rollers, that I can get a bet of a bending effect when the blank goes through the offset rollers.

But, unless you work with these very thin angle hair spaghetti type blanks - then I would offset the rollers every time as Ken suggested. For the rollers that I use for "normal" sized blanks - I use the offset method as well.

Frank, Here is a picture of the rollers that I made for use on my full length rod lathe. I wanted close equal support for high speed turning operations, so in this case, I have the two bottom rollers side by side.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a picture of the rollers and stands that I use for ice rod building with very small diameter blanks. These stands use shower door rollers with an O ring in the groove. The two bottom rollers are on the same plane and nearly touch.
The top roller is off set and comes down to the side of the two adjacent bottom rollers.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

This is a picture of the steady rest that I use for the majority of my rod building today. The lower rollers are offset, just the width of the outside O ring. Then, the top roller drops down beside both rollers:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2016 09:35AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 10:48AM

When I built mine I raised the rear roller cause the thread was being pulled away from me so I figured it would rest on the rear roller and not flip off when wrapping
I also made one roller so I can move it to get more space to fit large grips I just drilled another hole
I also looked at about 8 - 10 different wrappers and tried to put as many ideas as I could from as many as I could

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.rtp.zs.ncren.net)
Date: May 13, 2016 12:23PM

Some really good information and insight being shared here and is very much appreciated. It almost looks like it could be the making of a "how to" article!

Date: May 15, 2016 09:12AM

Thanks Roger for adding to the thread & providing info on the VERY thin "noodle" blanks. I don't build those at all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster