I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another MVT question
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2016 07:24AM

Sorry about starting another thread with an MVT reel seat question, but I had asked a follow up question in the other thread I started on the subject, and hadn't gotten a response. Granted I posted it later Sunday night, so not a lot of time has passed, but I want to glue my grips and seat up today, and the question pertains to epoxying on the MVT reel seat.

Anyhow .... I have an additional question for those that have used this reel seat. How do you handle the space between the spines inside the thread barrel? Once you epoxy the seat to the blank, do you fill those spaces in with epoxy? I'm concerned about the possibility of water getting into the reel seat if I don't at least seal the end of the thread tube with epoxy before I put on my small EVA end cap.

But if I just seal the end, should I be concerned about air that is trapped inside expanding from the heat of the sun, and causing me problems down the road?

So should I try and stuff the thread barrel full of epoxy? Seal just the end of the thread tube with epoxy? Or just don't worry about it?

Once again, sorry about the additional thread, just looking for a quick answer so I can get the build started.

Any responses will be extremely appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another MVT question
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 10, 2016 11:52AM

Mr. Baylor,
You shouldn't need to do any filling of voids (i.e. with a syringe after the seat is positioned) between the splines on the MVT seat. Just use a healthy amount of epoxy as you would on any other reel seat. I like to spin seats around during install to ensure epoxy is distributed around the blank's circumference. Masking of grips etc will help keep things clean. This is how I build and I've never had a seat break free.
Water can be more of a concern when tape arbors are being used. Always make sure to completely coat tape arbors with epoxy, paying special attention to the sides (edges of the tape.) I hope this helps.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2016 12:16PM

I myself prep the inside of all seats and the area where the seat will rest -- better adhesion And turn like said

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 11, 2016 07:26AM

Geoff, and Bill .... thank you both very much for your responses. They are extremely appreciated.

The reason for the questions about the voids is because I've never done a seat that had voids before as I've used a full length arbor on every seat I've installed thus far. Which isn't very many.

I know there are varying opinions on masking tape arbors, but I don't plan on ever using them. I'm sure they're fine. I just don't like the idea of them.

Anyhow. .... thank you both very much for your responses. They are greatly appreciated.

Gonna go get my build on

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster