I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Madeira thread, PermaGloss, and no CP
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: May 06, 2016 11:59PM

So I've brought this up in previous posts with no reply, so I decided to do a little trial. The grip I had was too big on the tip end of the handle for a new rod I'm building. So I built it up with a couple layers of d-size thread and applied some Permagloss. Then I wrapped some Madeira over it without trying to line it up perfectly (because a size over d size doesn't work all that well), and applied PG directly to it. It soaked into the thread so much that it seems virtually impossible to get fisheyes.

My hypothesis is that Permagloss will be a great sealant in place of CP for Madeira thread for when you want that darkened translucent look. I have a nice rod that I got prior to getting into rodbuilding. The tip broke off, and I need to get a replacement by mailing in the just the label section of the blank. So with the remaining blank scrap, I'm going to do a guide wrap with Madeira and use Permagloss rather than CP. I will follow it up with some ProKote epoxy and see if it fisheyes the finish.

I will post back the results. In the mean time, if anyone has experience with this, post for everyone's benefit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Madeira thread, PermaGloss, and no CP
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 07, 2016 08:06AM

Several builders use PG as a sealant and it works fine. It will not necessarily preserve thread color, however.

Re: Madeira thread, PermaGloss, and no CP
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: May 07, 2016 12:01PM

Tom, I mentioned that in my first post, that it would be for a darkened translucent look. Just like nylon without cp.

I did my first part of the experiment this morning. Its not the tightest wrap but it'll do for this purpose. I don't know when I'll be mixing up my next batch of epoxy, but when I do I'll post back.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Also learned this morning that factory rods use a different method of tying off than we. Or a different method of wrapping...not sure. The thread near the ring side of the guide that we would normally pull under and cut off ran clear back to the tip of the guide foot. It also appears they may have wrapped down the guide onto the blank. If that's the case they may have just not clipped the tag after the first few wraps t like most of us would.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2016 12:07PM by Randy Weakley.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster