I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Painting blank
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 10, 2016 03:08PM

No not yet The cans are not that costly Try looking up air brush paint You should find many colors and smaller containers and I think clears Also Klass Kote Yes that is the spelling Small containers and air brush paints and kits
Your email is hidden so I put this here ??

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2016 03:09PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 10, 2016 03:12PM

I have been contemplating an airbrush for some time now, but haven't yet decided to swallow the cost on it. I've also looked at detail HVLP guns to reduce the waste paint.

I've looked at Klass Notes stuff extensively as well, but have yet to try it. I want to build a purple rod for my wife and Klass Kote may be in order. There stuff looks top notch, but the clear is a bit pricey.

Date: May 10, 2016 03:45PM

I have played with the clear Nice Drys as hard as permagloss They come in cans with a nice screw on cap Just wipe the threads off to make sure it does not harden I keep in the fridge door KEEP AWAY FROM KIDS !!! The mix is 3 to one of catalyst I went to 4 to one found 3 to one 1 it dried a little fast

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 11, 2016 11:37AM

I tried using Permagloss with varied results. My technique was applying with a disposable brush to a quickly spinning blank. My first attempt was in a section of the blank to be covered by a grip on a heavy rod. It was so smooth that it looked exactly like the gloss finish on the blank from the factory. So I decided to try to cover up some scratches on a different blank where sandpaper was used a bit carelessly. It was 1000 grit, so not terrible. I tried to duplicate my previous process but it did not work. It came out wavy. I tried a few more coats, but I think that just built up the waves. The fortunate thing is that Permagloss removes pretty cleanly with DNA. So I got back down to the original coating. I used my polishing application I detailed earlier, and the scratches disappeared. What a headache for nothing!

I got a bottle of CPXtra coming that I'm going to try. I'm not giving up on Permagloss though. I'm thinking of getting a cheap CRB glass rod blank on my next Mudhole order just to to practice this technique. Then,once I have it figured out, I can build it up into an inexpensive saltwater rod.

Date: May 11, 2016 11:37AM

I tried using Permagloss with varied results. My technique was applying with a disposable brush to a quickly spinning blank. My first attempt was in a section of the blank to be covered by a grip on a heavy rod. It was so smooth that it looked exactly like the gloss finish on the blank from the factory. So I decided to try to cover up some scratches on a different blank where sandpaper was used a bit carelessly. It was 1000 grit, so not terrible. I tried to duplicate my previous process but it did not work. It came out wavy. I tried a few more coats, but I think that just built up the waves. The fortunate thing is that Permagloss removes pretty cleanly with DNA. So I got back down to the original coating. I used my polishing application I detailed earlier, and the scratches disappeared. What a headache for nothing!

I got a bottle of CPXtra coming that I'm going to try. I'm not giving up on Permagloss though. I'm thinking of getting a cheap CRB glass rod blank on my next Mudhole order just to to practice this technique. Then,once I have it figured out, I can build it up into an inexpensive saltwater rod.

I have read all the other methods about coffee filters, panty hose, cheese cloth, sponges, etc. It seems like you would have to build a jig to support it on longer rods. And the squeegee method seems equally complicated. How do you do a longer rod? And when pulling the butt through the diaphram, how do you support the blank tip side down? Do you just grab the butt section with the understanding that its going to be covered by a grip?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2016 11:44AM by Randy Weakley.

Date: May 11, 2016 12:36PM

There was a video of using the squeegee method A google search may bring it up unless some one here has it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 11, 2016 12:55PM

Thanks Bill, I'll check that out.

Date: May 12, 2016 12:29AM

Bill, no joy using several word combinations on both Google and YouTube. Hopefully someone knows the link???

Date: May 12, 2016 01:24PM

Ed
This is maybe what you are looking for
[duplicolor.com]
This is good but you will have to find a store that carries it Go there and find the color unless you know the car it is on
[duplicolor.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2016 01:33PM by bill boettcher.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster