I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking of getting into Building.
Posted by: Jason Trent (---.jcsc.org)
Date: April 11, 2016 09:49AM

Hello,
I'm sorry up front if this has been covered before which I'm sure it has but I have a couple of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's hard to make the jump to rods you can't feel, test, or see.
1. What is the sensitivity like on the standard MHX and elite blanks compared to factory rods. I'm currently using some Dobyns Champion, Dobyn Savy, Powell Max, Powell Endurance. Any other comparison is fine. I'm not to interested in the Hi-Mods for durability reasons.
2. Along the lines of Question one is there another brand blank that is better than MHX and if so why? I don't really want to spend over $110-$120 on a blank. I would like to stay in the $100 range but want a good performing blank.
3. Can a high performing blank be purchase for that dollar range?
4. Is it worth building rods for yourself only. I'm not looking to go into business building rods but I may build some for a buddy if needed but it's basically for me. Based on that and I'm looking to build 10-15 rods is it worth it.
5. Along the lines of question 2 I can't seem to find a specific brand that has everything I want. That is why I have so many different brands but the rods are all totally different (grip, grip length, guides) and I don't really like that. So is that reason enough to build.
6. Do you really need to go to a build class before building a few rods. I'm pretty handy and have been making and hand tying my own jigs for a few years now. The reason I ask is the class isn't around my area until November and I need a few now.

That's all I have for now. There will be several more coming if I decide to build.

Thanks Again,
Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking of getting into Building.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 11, 2016 10:10AM

1. Sensitivity will be as good or better in most any good rod blank than what you will find in a commercially made rod. But, much of that issue depends on the builder and how the rod is constructed.

2. MHX is very good series of rod blanks. "Better" is subjective and comes down to the parameters that are most important to you.

3. Yes.

4. Only you can decide if it is "worth it."

5. If you can't find what you want off the rack, then building your own in order to have what you want would seem to make sense.

6. Most people don't take a rod building class. No doubt you'd find it helpful, but it is not an absolute requirement in order to learn and obtain good results. There are many good books and DVDs out there which you may find helpful.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2016 02:57PM

Jason

With regard to your questions #4 and #5, can you quantify the value in $s for rods that suit your hand, fishing style and techniques, desired aesthetics, etc.? My guess is probably not, but that is not necessarily a reason not to build your own. There is no substitute for a rod that truly fits you. Just don't expect the cost of a custom rod, and regardless of whether you are the builder or not, to be very significantly less than retail. The major rod manufacturers purchase or make components by the zillions while you will be buying in unit quantities of a dozen and probably less. So while you can avoid paying the manufacturer's and retailer's margins, you give back in terms of component cost. Thus your "worth it" determination will be more subjective and less objective.

With regard to your question #6, hands on instruction is best but as tom wrote not mandatory. If there is no local builder who can lend a hand the online videos are the next best thing and there are fortunately a bunch of them that are very good, especially those produced by the vendors listed to the left.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 12, 2016 02:16AM

Do you get satisfaction from making and hand tying your own jigs? if so, you'll probably get a ton of satisfaction from wrapping your own rods the way you want.

I've never taken a class and yet i've wrapped at least a dozen rods so far, for myself and friends. i relied on tom's book, plus one other. No online videos or DVDs. The rods catch fish. I like doing it. It's fun. Now i tie my own flies. so the circle is complete.... :)

you can take rod wrapping to several levels. start now, you'll learn in different manners as you complete more and more rods. if you can't find someone for one-on-one instruction, or take the class now, do it later.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 12, 2016 03:38AM

Hi Jason
As a fly fisherman I have always enjoyed tying my own flies. I can definitely buy flies cheaper than I can make them, but for me it's not about money it's the satisfaction of tying my own flies and catching fish on them.
I've recently got in to rod building for the same reason. I only build for myself (I'm just working on my second rod) and get a huge amount of satisfaction from building my own rods to my own requirements. I can buy a rod cheaper than I can make one but I wouldn't get nearly the same pleasure in casting and fishing with it. I've also learnt a lot about how rods work.

I've not taken any formal instruction but learnt from this forum (the contributors on here are very helpful), Tom's book, watching videos, and making and correcting mistakes. I love creating a rod that nobody else will own and can't see myself buying an off the shelf rod again.

Dive right in and try it :0)

Good luck and enjoy the journey

John Walker (Wales, UK)

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 12, 2016 09:22AM

Jason, I'd ask how much do you spend on the factory rods you buy? The reason I ask is, if you spend between $200 to $225 on you factory rods, you can spend that much in components and, if you choose your components wisely, and build your rod right, you'll have a rod that will blow a factory rod in that price range, into the weeds.

Having only built 5 rods, I'm still quite new to rod building. I've built on blanks from 3 different manufacturers. MHX, Pac Bay, and Rainshadow. As for the sensitivity of the standard MHX blank compared to factory rod goes ...... I've only built on one MHX blank and it was the standard MHX blank. I'd compare its sensitivity to that of a Shimano Crucial. It's a nice sensitive blank, but it won't knock your socks off.

I've built two rods on blanks from Pac Bay's Quickline series of blanks. Very sensitive blanks, but, and I will qualify by saying that I built the two rods on the same blank, but they are a very thin wall blank. Definitely not a blank that I think could take a lot of abuse.

The other two rods I've built were on blanks from Rainshadow. I built a rod on their CB (crankbait) line of blanks, and their Immortal line of blanks. The CB is an excellent crankbait blank, and the Immortal is an outstanding blank. Even though, depending on the model, they may be a little over what you want to spend on a blank, you would be doing yourself a HUGE favor to take a look at the Immortal line of blanks from Rainshadow.

They are phenomenal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2016 09:24AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Jason Trent (149.164.120.---)
Date: April 25, 2016 10:56AM

How does the construction of the rod effect the sensitivity? Does it have to do with guide type and placement?
Thanks,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster