I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Handle length
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 01:32PM

What is a good handle length for a flipping Rod and why the long size as most are.

Glenn McMurrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Handle length
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 05:31PM

Glenn,
10-11 inches.

Flipping rods are typically long and the longer grip better balances the rod.

be safe

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: April 09, 2016 09:03PM

Check out Tackle Warehouse. All handle lengths are listed.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2016 12:14AM

Glenn;
If you are just looking for general info on flipping sticks the advice given so far may suffice. But if looking for info on building one to better serve you. Here are some pointers that will aid in building a rod whcih will perform better you.

mass produced flipping stick handles can be anything up to 15 inches or so.
Using the handle length to better balance a flipping stick is in my opinion the last consideration I would use to archive that, and in fact it would not be a consideration.

The handle length in a flipping stick is solely about rod performance and to achieve that performance, the fist thing you need to consider/determine is; what style of flipper you are, or are building for.
More acuaratley what type of hook setter you/they are when flipping, and how they hold the reel.

Some flippers (myself included) rest the grip under their four arm, both to lesson wrist fatigue and as leverage when setting the hook. I palm the reel, and prefer a split grip, and build so the taper of the back half of the grip rest just past my "Flexor Carpi Muscle". Stopping 1-5/8 inch short of my elbow so the handle does not get caught in my clothing in colder weather. So for me grips measured from back of reel seat are 11-1/4 to 11-1/2 inches.
Depending on your arm length and how you hold the reel, your handles could be longer or shorter.

Other flippers are "belly hook setters" planting the butt of the rod against their belly and using it as a leverage point when setting the hook (Roland Martin and Bill Lowen) use this style as do several others. For some reason I've noticed over the years that anglers with bigger bellies tend to favor this technique more so then slender anglers.

With this style the handle needs be longer at least and inch or two past the elbow final dimensions also depending on how they hold the reel.

As far as length;
Every six inches of rod allows you to flip about a foot further. many anglers will let out about enough line so that the bait rests about even with the reel. so with each 6 inches of rod length you have the six inches of line up the added length and six inches back the added rod length to where bait lines up with reel. a taller person can get away with allowing the bait out further.

For us shorter people allowing the extra line can cause the bait to slap against the boats gunwale screwing up rhythm or worse allowing the jigs hook to grab a rod off the deck slinging it over board leaving you standing there in amazement as your rod disappears into the depths. (and yes that is a personal experience)

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 12:57AM

Thanks for the great info on the different types of flipping sticks and those specs that you give are dot for dot the same as I use too.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 10, 2016 07:19AM

Great job, Steve.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster