I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

minimal wraps
Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-150.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 08, 2016 03:04AM

I'm into only my second rod build, a fibreglass fly rod, and wanting to experiment
I'm using white silk thread and no CP to give a transparent wrap. my question is about how much I have to whip the guide feet.

Is it okay to start at the top of the foot and leave the end of the guide foot unwrapped? I realise I'd need to extend the epoxy beyond the foot but wanted to minimise wrap and epoxy. Have any of you done this and will it cause problems?

Thank you in advance

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: minimal wraps
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 07:41AM

Use Permagloss and you don't even need thread. Just open a window.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 07:57AM

I have heard of leaving the end of the feet unwrapped. But start at the area near the foot and go uphill.

You can also wrap the bottom - leave a gap - and wrap the top of the foot. That would be more secure.
Herb

Date: April 08, 2016 12:10PM

Thanks for the tips gents, much appreciated

John

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 01:40PM

John,
Of course you can put a guide on a rod, if you want using no thread at all.

But, just out of curiosity - what are you hoping to achieve by only wrapping 1/2 of the guide foot on the rod?

Be safe

Date: April 08, 2016 03:34PM

Hi Roger, Good question, and frankly I'm not sure I know! I'm a total novice that likes to experiment. I was playing around with wraps and liked the look of a smaller wrap and once it's finished it's all but invisible so wondered if I needed to wrap the whole foot. In my defense, when messing around, I've wrapped more than half the foot and guess it's more like 80%, just leaving a 'big toe' exposed.

John Walker (Wales, UK)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 03:57PM

Hope you don't have any trouble with a guide coming loose ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 05:14PM

John,
One potential issue that you might have with a guide that is partially wrapped and that is getting the foot to be waterproof. You don't want moisture wicking under the guide foot or thread that could cause long term issues.

Be safe

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 05:44PM

I really do not like your idea of half wrapping a guide foot. You are using white silk thread, this will make the wrap disappear any way. Why compromise the functionality of a wrap, which in short is to hold the guide firmly in place when casting and playing a fish. If you want less weight, less epoxy and a smaller wrap use single foot guides that what they are made for.
Norm

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 08:41PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Someone please help me give credit where it's due. I believe this was called a high heel wrap. Its on a rod I did years ago but I can't remember who did it first. This is covered in permagloss John. It has stood up to a lot of abuse through the years and is still going.

Posted by: John Walker (---.range86-154.btcentralplus.com)
Date: April 09, 2016 09:43AM

Thank you gents for your advice and feedback. I've lots still to learn!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster