I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick Fiberglass Casting Rod
Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: April 08, 2016 10:51AM

Hello everyone in my outings scouring fleamkt back corners for older rods to practice on I've come across a Fenwick casting rod. The color is I believe they called it honey yellow, anyway the most important info that is usually on the rod blank has been nearly rubbed off however the reel seat is cast with the Fenwick name and westminster location I'm trying to find guides for the rod, there is only one that is damaged, they are double foot and the guide ring themselves are a beefy look almost a flat ring appearance I'm not able to provide a picture any help with locating a guide or maybe I should return to the flea mkt to see if there would be guides on other fenwicks appreciate any info regarding these rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick Fiberglass Casting Rod
Posted by: Frank Thomas - Alias (85.17.24.---)
Date: April 08, 2016 10:55AM

I think you're going to need to throw a handful of periods and commas in there before anyone could help ya.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 11:37AM

The honey colored Fenwick blanks were very common back in the 60s & 70s. The guide you described could be a carbide guide, they had a flat looking ring. To make sure we need a picture or you could google carbide guides. I think America Tackle still makes them. I may still have a small stash of them somewhere let me know the size needed.
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 12:55PM

Like this ??
[www.mudhole.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 09:37PM

Built many a fenwick over the years, they used to make some nice blanks. They were bought by a big company and you know the story. The guides would be similar to the one in the picture but the $1-$2 models not the carbide ones. That style guide is still used alot here, Pac bay for one makes them. Should be easy to find one on line. I have a bunch too if you're in a jam. If they're old mildrum the edges would be round not flat, those are hard to find and the sizing is different, but in fenwicks heyday there were likely Perfection guides. The pac bay look the same and the quality is better. They made good rods you should enjoy it

Date: April 09, 2016 09:54PM

Dang that is a pretty close match---

Date: April 09, 2016 10:12PM

Well as I was surfing thru the net I had gotten into the Fenwick.com and read some history. I'm wishfully thinking but in scrutinizing the blank and where the company logo would be as well as the rod particulars it almost appears as though the word Grizzly is part of the line under the Fenwick bird(?). As I said it's wishful thinking, however does it seem unlikely that a west coast rod could make it to the Ozarks. Anyway I'll look further into the mudhole example it certainly looked close. Further examination of the guides on the rod the indication is that the double foot support is polished and the guide itself is a gunmetal color. And by polished it is a bit of a stretch, but it is brighter than the guide itself---thanks for everyones' replies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster