I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Frustrated Newb...
Posted by: Billy Schraub (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: April 06, 2016 10:25PM

I have been lurking this site for a while now (3 +/- months) trying to learn everything I can; the more I learn, the more I realize the science/art mixture of custom rods. The choices of components is predicated on what the rod is for. The science is pretty basic; if you don’t dig too deep. But, then comes the art of building a custom rod; it’s almost overwhelming for a working stiff that just loves to fish. Thanks for the schooling! Thanks to you and yours!
However, I am frustrated and would appreciate your help and input; I am trying to find the right color components for my first build. I know the blank, thread, guides, butt and grips; but I can't seem to find the right COLOR MATCH for the reel seat and other components.
I haven't bought any material... yet. But I’m itching.
I found a picture of a rod I want to use as a “go by”, I really like the look, but I can't find the checks to match the seat and winding or I can’t find the seat to match the checks and winding? I can change thread color, but I want to use GREEN components.
All that to ask a question out of frustration...
How can I identify a particular component from a picture; just keep surfin'? I want to get my handle, blank and reel seat so I can move to the next step and figure out the guide trains and… I'm getting a little frustrated because I can’t find the right seat to match components not to mention the thread! Any help (or sympathy if you've been there) would be appreciated...
Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frustrated Newb...
Posted by: Larry Majkrzak (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2016 11:13PM

Hello Billy,
First off welcome to the addiction. I started a year a go as a side hobby to fishing an now I'm building four rods. (go figure). As to your question/s, I would start by listing some of the components that you are interested in. These guys, by far, have the most resources and knowledge out of anyone to help you out but can only get so far with minimum info provided. As to the real seat, you can get some that are painted to nearly any color you want. Good luck amigo.
-Larry

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 06, 2016 11:36PM

grab a zanex,do some yoga, take some deep breaths. Ready? look to the left of your screen. If you can't find what you're looking from all those vendors don't know that there's help for you. Seriously this is a hobby for you, relax, relax. Mix in some gold or yellow to highlight the green. Different shades of green can look really nice. This is the easy part none of rod building has to be hard. Taken together it looks very challenging but taken step by step not so much. Make a list of 2 or 3 choices, whittle it down, pull the trigger, and try not to spend a ton of money. When you have it all together turn off the computer and the videos and get started. You've likely picked up enough info thru osmosis if you've been lurking that long. When you get struck you know where to go. I've been wrapping rods for a long time but just found this site recently ,really an incredible resource and a very helpful group. Have at it. One last tip, keep your credit card in your wallet between 10pm and 6am, You'll just have to trust me on that one.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.56.13.---)
Date: April 06, 2016 11:43PM

Sheridan said it well. One other tip:
Keep it cheap and simple as a beginner. Learn the basics and then go into more 'advanced' concepts.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 12:02AM

My first rod I built was a $40 cheap kit. My second rod was a $60 cheap kit. My third rod was an $80 kit. You know what I wished I would've done. I wished the first three were $40 kits. Because I made little mistakes on each one of them. The first one I made I ended up putting too much epoxy on it and having the finish "football". The second one I learned that you shouldn't use too much heat when getting bubbles out of the epoxy. The third one I learned that I didn't have the dryer fully tightened and my rod fell off the dryer overnight and I woke up with all the epoxy sagging really bad to one side. My lesson, when you first start getting into rod building you're going to make some mistakes. It's better to learn them on some cheap rods then on a rod you invest lots of money into.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 05:33AM

First thing you need to do is register with this site with your full first and last name as per the rules. This post will likely be deleted. Dot be discouraged by this. Its what keeps the riff faff away.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anthony Holstein (---.dsl.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 10:45AM

Rodgeeks has custom painted reel seats. Hopefully someone can chime in on the winding checks.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2016 11:04AM

Billy,

I recently saw a post by a guy who was also looking for some green winding checks. He posted a picture of a green winding check that he was trying to locate. I too really liked the color of the winding check; but I don't have a clue as to who the manufacturer the light green winding check. Wish I know!

Oh, by the way....Welcome to the addiction ....It's incurable!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 11:37AM

If you have help from a seasoned person go for it, but if you are on your own & the first build go as cheep as you can to get your feet wet ,
an find out what you are doing , lots of thing will come out , an point to your short comings,, it is a learning curve,
as reaming the grip , applying your wrap , an the epoxy is not as easy as it sound good luck

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.res.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 11:49AM

And sometimes if you are trying to mimic a factory rod, you will not be able to find those same components from a supplier.
Often, those special parts are "proprietary" and not available to the public.
And, sometimes you can use contrasting colors of components, like winding checks, and have a unique look.
The advise about starting more basic is good, don't try too much at first, get the basics mastered and then move on.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 11:50AM

The winding checks were probably from Mategi

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: April 07, 2016 12:44PM

Billy,
Perhaps reconsider having everything one color. How about green and gold or green and silver?
On the green reel seat, what color are the rings? I personally prefer to have all the metal trim (reel seat rings, winding check, guide frames) match, which might be black, TiGrey, or chrome. Wraps primarily of green thread (that matches the reel seat) with metallic trim that matches the metal parts would be very attractive. In a decorative wrap you can add in additional colors for effect.
Please don't be so rigid in your requirements that you get frustrated. Rod building is a way to have fun expressing your creativity.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 07, 2016 01:41PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:40PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 03:30PM

What color reel will you be matching?

Don Becker

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: April 07, 2016 09:11PM

I have one rod blank (among many) I think is wonderful. I've rebuilt it 4 times so far over the years. I learn something each time, and each time I screw it up less. It's a trial and error thing. Once you do a few the first will look lame to you,( if you're not a prodigy), which I"m not. Oh, excuse me off topic. I've reached the point where I make my own winding checks from wrap finish and marbling pigment. I dislike metal ones. I also dislike paying for them.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: April 08, 2016 12:52AM

I do much the same as Lynn in making my own winding checks .The only difference is I use an epoxy that dries harder than the finishing epoxy we use . Iv'e been making my own for the last 8 yrs or so .The benefit is that you can style them to match any combination of thread colours as you have the ability to drop other colours in to suit.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Billy Schraub (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2016 08:03PM

Thanks for the welcome! and thanks for all the responses! Like I said, I've lurked for some time now and really haven't “started" because each time I think it's decided, I change my mind!
I yield to wise counsel and will buy a kit. Suggestions? THANKS for the response, it only helps… I hope questions aren’t an imposition as I have another please.

if I might; I have an old school Penn 4400 I use for inshore (Gulf Coast, 7' MHF, 20lb braid) reds, trout, flounder Black Drum, etc. that I want to match to the ultimate (in my mind) build. I want to match the reel to the blank. On the Fuji site it talked about measuring the skirt shaft, with some other measurements. Is that really necessary to match the rod? I want to figure the reduction train so I can adjust where I put the handle, but, I have to have the handle, to set trains,
so a kit it is…

As always, any help is good help and thanks for the warm welcome.
CHEERS!
b

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster