I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

white wrapping thread
Posted by: Terry Fude (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:12PM

I just started building rods, and would like some white wrappings, but wonder if they will stay white or turn almost clear when the epoxy is put on?

thank you for the help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: white wrapping thread
Posted by: chris blackburn (107.77.68.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 08:19PM

Color preserver or ncp thread

Date: April 03, 2016 08:33PM

Fuji Ultra Poly - Size A - 002-White Fuji_UPA00-002 this is the thread i bought. i did not buy color preserver.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 09:10PM

Without the use of color preserver or ncp thread the regular tread will go translucent when epoxied and the blank color will show through. The Fuji ncp white tread stays nice and white with out any mottling or blank color show through. I use it when I replace guides on the Duckett all white rods.
Norm

Date: April 03, 2016 09:20PM

thank you for the info, guess i will have to get some CP or go with a different color thread with the green.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 09:23PM

If using a dark blank, even with CP, white can look blotchy if the wraps are not very tight to each other, so pay particular attention to wrapping, burnishing, and compacting the wraps.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 09:42PM

White NCP thread WITH CP

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2016 11:52PM

If you're determined to use white, I'd recommend the Fuji ultra poly "A" NOCP packed tight/bunished followed by 2 coats of CP

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 03:00PM

You could paint the blank white where the wraps will be and wrap over it.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2016 04:45PM

Terry

What you are being advised is that you have two challenges, the first of which is you need to acquire NCP thread (in the Fuji world it is labeled "NOCP") or use a color preserver before applying finish. NOCP thread is the quicker and easier option.

Secondly, white wraps on a dark blank can be difficult to do well. I am completing a build with white trim bands on a dark blue blank. Any wrapping error will be noticeable. So go slowly and pack, pack and pack.

And by the way, the Fuji Ultra Poly size A is just a wee tiny bit smaller in diameter than most size A nylons. So be prepared to add an extra trim wrap turn if you are using white as the trim color.

Date: April 04, 2016 07:21PM

thank you all for the help, i have decided that for this build the white will have to wait, i will use a silver instead, it is a gift for a friend and want to have it ready for his b-day/retirement. i will get the correct thread for the next one, and also keep some CP on hand just in case i decide to use a light color ever again.

thank you
T

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster