I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Static load test with heavy drag
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 02:20AM

Hi, about to embark on an offshore rod building journey. I am doing a rod rated for up to 60 lb line. So I may be using up to 20 lbs drag. Will be using 40-50 lb mostly so 13-17 lbs more likely. In any case, from my reading, you want to load from the tip top only and have a trivial weight attached to the line running through the guides.

So how strong is tip top adhesive? If I suspend a 20 lbs weight from only the tip top, will it possibly release and cause a safety concern or break the blank? How do y'all more experienced folks static test a heavy rod meant for jacks and smaller tuna?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Static load test with heavy drag
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (101.162.7.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 06:21AM

If you can't get someone to hold the tip down you could bind the tip to get additional holding capacity.
Also you may find that at a decent bend on lighter weights you can still get good guide positioning. I doubt on most blanks you would need to weigh down 17lbs to confirm guide positioning.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2016 07:56AM

If it's installed correctly, hot melt adhesive will easily hold a tiptop on under a mere 20 pounds of load. However, if you don't get the adhesive between the tube and blank, it won't hold much at all.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 03, 2016 10:05AM

I tie of to the tip and apply the pressure to set the bend there, line from the reel has only a Minor weight on them 4 OZ

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 03, 2016 11:18AM

Do y'all's scuff the blank at the tip before installation?

I watched the Flex Coat video about using a glue gun to make small rods out of the adhesive that you can just snip a bit off to drop in. Im thinking about trying that method if I have a glue gun.

Tom can you elaborate about getting it between the tube and blank? I usually shave off bits of adhesive and stuff them into the tube. Then I melt it with a flame and slip it on. So it seems like I'm achieving that goal.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 03, 2016 12:31PM

Sounds like you are. The general mistake many make is to just smear the glue on the blank tip and then push the tiptop down onto that. Most of the adhesive is then simply pushed down the rod blank.

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 04, 2016 01:42PM

Hello,

Make sure that whatever you use to hold the blank, as well as tie-off the line, is capable of handling the pressure.

I once cracked the upper half of a heavy surf blank when my tie-off let go--expensive lesson learned.

-chad

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 04, 2016 01:53PM

I was planning to use a human as my blank holding device ha ha ha! So that should be sufficient! As far as tie off line, I was planning to use 40 lb line, but I could get something stronger, just in case.

Thanks for the advice! Always better to learn from someone else's mishaps when able.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: April 06, 2016 09:28AM

The little glue gun strips offered by Flex Coat are fantastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster