I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat CP over decal
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.access.maltanet.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 04:15AM

I've applied the CP over decal to avoid lifting of edges, but after the epox cured, the CP looks very visible like a cloudy dirty shade under the epoxy. Was it because it was too thick ? Can I try some other method for the decal without using CP ? I hate it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat CP over decal
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 04:27AM

Hopefully it was thoroughly dried before the finish was applied. Perhaps it is fingerprints on the underside of the decal. That would be indicated by the portions where finger contact was made are the only hazy spots.

For a solution to your problem, I suggest wrapping over the decal with white silk thread and coating with a thin finish. No CP on that wrap.

Date: March 27, 2016 04:44AM

Hi Chuck, no it has nothing to do with finger prints ... it is all over the place where I applied CP. What do you mean by wrapping over the decal ? wouldn't that hide my decal ? not sure I'm understanding :)

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 06:51AM

White silk turns transparent with epoxy. What decal is it? St.Croix's and decal connection hardly ever lift with no CP used. I have issues with rainshadow decals but lay a thin coat of epoxy down first, let it dry, apply decal over it, wrap edges with trim bands, then apply another coat of epoxy.
Thanks,
Dan G

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 08:12AM

On decals I always use this
[www.amazon.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 09:39AM

When I apply decals, I never use CP with excellent results. I just use my standard finish and it works very well with no lifted edges.

Good luck

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.10.188.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 09:49AM

Try taking some super glue ( I use Krazy Glue) and run a very thin streak of it around the edges of the decal. It'll only take a few minutes to dry and will look funky, but will completely disappear after finish is applied.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 10:31AM

I think different folks may be talking about different decals. I don't use waterslide, just peel and stick, most of which are done on my inkjet printer on Papillio white vinyl media. For those, an edge treatment of CP then the fixative like Bill uses, and then epoxy. I put CP on the edges of peel and stick blank manufacturer decals exc for the rub-on ones. I don't put anything on them.

Keep in mind that the white CP's have solids in them and should always be mixed. Is it possible that the Flex Coat (which is the brand I use) was not mixed enough? My Flex Coat always dries crystal clear.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 27, 2016 11:35AM

I use Decal Connection decals and have never had a problem with the edges. I apply them on a fresh thin coat of epoxy that has cured overnight, then apply the final coat over the decal.

Date: March 27, 2016 11:42AM

I used Flexcoat CP and yes probably didn't mix well and applied too much. Decals are the custom text decals from Mudhole. I don't want to apply them over an epoxy coat as I want it to look thin.

Posted by: Walter Rehberg (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 27, 2016 07:35PM

I use clear fingernail polish over the edges of the decal.. I use it on virtually every rod I make and have experienced no problems whatsoever.

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: March 28, 2016 04:38AM

I usually make big decals so always make a wrap over the edges of the decal and use CP to prevent any problems. Never have a lifting problem.

Abraço
Nuno

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 08:56AM

Alistair, many builders put a coat of epoxy onto the blank before the application of the decal, but I do not often do that, and don't think it is necessary to proper adhesion. It does provide a contaminant-free surface. One thing you can do is to degloss the blank surface lightly, which will also take off any oil or wax or other substance that might compromise adhesion.

I have put decals over epoxy, and like the look of the decal "floating" off the surface of the blank. I try to design my wraps so that I cover the ends, as Nuno does. It gives a rally nice, finished, look. Different strokes.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:47PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:46PM by John E Powell.

Date: March 28, 2016 01:30PM

What I do is roll a round object over the edges of any decal just to make sure it is down

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 28, 2016 02:18PM

Thanks all. Bill, do you mean to train the decal to the roundness of the blank before applying it ?

Date: March 28, 2016 03:15PM

After I apply it I go over the edges Decal connection makes a roller for that Yet you can probably make one Watch out for any glue that may come out from the edges
You can also Carefully wipe the edges with a paper towel

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2016 03:19PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2016 07:18PM

Alistair,
I do as you stated. i.e. train the decal by rubbing it over a round object that is somewhat smaller than the blank on which it will be applied. That way, when the decal is applied, the edges of the decal hug the blank and no issues with lifted edges.

Then, I just coat the butt wrap, decal area and the rest of the guides with finish. Nothing special needed in the area of the decal. Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster