I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

getting clean finish edge under guide.
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: March 25, 2016 08:37AM

Being new at the art something that I struggle with is getting a nice clean edge around my guides. The edge near the point of a guide(beginning of the wrap) isn't an issue. I apply finish at a higher speed and the finish makes a nice clean line. But as a push a little finish toward the front of the the guide(under the guide ring). The angle of the guide moves my brush and keeps me from being able to get a clean line. I've used a toothpick to apply finish directly under the tunnel to seal that area off but I'm curious what others do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting clean finish edge under guide.
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2016 09:31AM

Adam

Using a toothpick or similar tool is a common and effective technique to 'fill the tent'. And from your description I'm guessing that as the guide support rotates to the brush the nice straight edge you had is no more and if you try to compensate by pushing more epoxy towards the edge you have too wide an edge with maybe still an insufficient amount of epoxy immediately beyond the guide heel. Here are some thoughts and others will no doubt suggest other options.

1. Use tape to define the finish edge, apply the finish, then remove the tape.
2. Instead of fighting the rod rotation and the guide support as it moves past, stop or reverse the rotation and reposition the brush. This will help equalized the amount of finish on both sides of the guide foot heel next to the tent.
3. If there is excess finish around the heel (where the guide foot turns up towards the ring) use a strip of coffee filter, cotton gun swab (anything absorbent ant lint free) to remove excess finish and restore the straight line of finish beyond the wrap.

I use #2 above. #1 and #3 are a bit difficult to execute well for 2/0 and 1/0 snake guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2016 10:08AM

Apply finish by turning the rod by hand. Insert the corner of your brush into the tunnel and rotate the rod until the brush is at the other tunnel. Then reload the brush, insert the corner of the brush in that tunnel, and rotate the opposition direction until you've made a full revolution again.

Date: March 25, 2016 11:00AM

Thanks guys I'm actually having more trouble with single foot guides then double foot. The angle the guide ring goes vertical on blocks a clear accessway for the brush to apply finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2016 12:05PM

Adam,
One thing that I have learned this last year is to move from your former position in front of the rod to a position that is further down or up the rod.
I was getting intermittent issues with a similar problem. I then realized that when I was having the issue, it was because my hand was right in front of the guide when applying finish. As a result, the rotating guide, tends to hit the brush and or hand as it rotates. But, if you slide in the direction that puts your hand away from the rotating guide, you then come it an an angle and your hand and brush slips neatly beneath the angle of the rotating guide and the finish just glides on like it needs to be for a perfect finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2016 12:14PM

[www.youtube.com]

Check out the video at time 4:46 - coating the guides.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2016 12:43PM

You may find something helpful in this: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2016 01:10PM

I run un-waxed dental floss under guide ring using a floss threader. "Wipe" like you are polishing shoes with a rag.
Herb

Date: March 28, 2016 08:18AM

Thanks for all the help guys I guess i should have also stated that part of the issue is that a run 5 or so wraps of thread past the guide to help lock it in place. This in turn though causes a pain when trying to apply finish past the guide a little.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 28, 2016 12:28PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:46PM by John E Powell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster