I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Winding checks
Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 19, 2016 12:02PM

I have asked this question of our suppliers on the left before but didn't get the right answers. Who offers good looking aluminum winding checks in GREEN. They offer green trim rings, green butt caps even green guides but I can't find green winding checks.

They are out there somewhere because in the photo below is a perfect example of what I am looking for. Does anyone know of a source for such items???

Tom

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding checks
Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2016 01:18PM

I have been on the same search with no results.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2016 01:42PM

Here you go:

[www.customrodhandles.com]

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: March 19, 2016 02:24PM

They say you learn something new every day. Today I learned that Custom Rod Handles is located about a thousand yards from my house and I've driven by it enough to recognize it in the street view photo. Thanks Roger

Date: March 19, 2016 02:42PM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here you go:
>
> [www.customrodhandles.com]
> ucts/show/3435279

Thank you Roger that is close. What I was looking for is anodized aluminum like in the photo. Also the butt caps and trim rings are green aluminum I don't see why there aren't winding checks in the same material.

Tom

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2016 05:10PM

Tom, I was powder painting some jig heads I poured and after I was finished saw your post. Went back to the shop dug out some old salvage aluminum winding checks and powder painted them with pro-tec powder paint they came out great. Mud hole sells the stuff and it comes in a many colors including various greens. I did not have the green paint but used black on one and chartreuse on another. Surpringly good results. They can be baked in the oven to give a very hard finish. This my be an alternative if you can not find a source for green winding checks. Hope this helps. I can email you a picture if you wish. Hope this helps.
Norm

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 19, 2016 05:13PM

Roger, do you know if the ID will stretch a little over the blank?

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lnse2.cha.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 19, 2016 06:16PM

I too would like green anodised Aluminium wind in checks.
Let me know if you end up locating them.
Cheers.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 20, 2016 01:53PM

Another alternative might be to use the all in one duplu-color touch up kit. It contains both the paint and clear coat and comes in every color a car has ever been painted. Since it is an auto paint it is made for metal. Should work.
Norm

Date: March 21, 2016 12:00PM

Tom,
The other thing that you could do, would be to get some plain aluminum winding checks and then take them to a shop that does anodizing. They should be able to color them to any color you want for under $50 each.

p.s.
They could likely color 500 winding check for the same price as they would charge for one winding check.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 12:01PM by roger wilson.

Date: March 21, 2016 12:03PM

p.s.
Here is a good source for "Green anodizing". Bring in your plain aluminum colored winding checks and they will color them to your specifications:

[westloopanodizing.com]

Posted by: billy brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 12:31PM

Lynn just also learned something. I am about 10 miles from the same. I live in effort and am a manager at Dunkelbergers sports oufitters. I have been a rod builder for 25 years or more.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 21, 2016 12:39PM

You can also ( if you have a decent lath ) get some green acrylic and make your own

Bill - willierods.com

Date: March 24, 2016 12:26AM

All great ideas on how to make your own but again I think the question is more directed at all the trim pieces are available in blue or red but only some of the trim pieces are available in green. Seems strange.

Date: March 24, 2016 12:26AM

All great ideas on how to make your own but again I think the question is more directed at all the trim pieces are available in blue or red but only some of the trim pieces are available in green. Seems strange.

Date: March 24, 2016 12:27PM

Steve Monroe Wrote:
> All great ideas on how to make your own but again
> I think the question is more directed at all the
> trim pieces are available in blue or red but only
> some of the trim pieces are available in green.
> Seems strange.

That is exactly my point. Would have been nice if some of the suppliers would have addressed this question

Date: March 24, 2016 12:28PM

Steve Monroe Wrote:
> All great ideas on how to make your own but again
> I think the question is more directed at all the
> trim pieces are available in blue or red but only
> some of the trim pieces are available in green.
> Seems strange.

That is exactly my point. Would have been nice if some of the suppliers would have addressed this question

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 24, 2016 12:31PM

Send them an email or call them What else can you do Maybe they see this -- maybe not

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Monroe (---.hesenergy.net)
Date: March 25, 2016 12:27AM

Date: March 25, 2016 10:28AM

Whoever is doing the anodized in blue, red, gold, etc. Could very simply do more in green if asked to do do. The question is who do we talk to and what manufacture is making them

Tom

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster