I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy curing related to temp.
Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.sub-70-195-150.myvzw.com)
Date: March 18, 2016 03:52PM

Hello, as I have come to the thread finishing portion of my builds, I have hit a wall.I have prokote I bought from mudhole, and the recommended curing temperature says 70-80°. Problem is, nights in WNY aren't going to get much warmer than 60 for quite some time yet. My mother hates the smell of regular epoxy fumes, and says it makes her throat swell, so I can't do it in the basement unless it dosent give off fumes. My plan was to do it out in our barn which is completely out of the wind/elements but not heated. I thought I'd be able to do it even if Temps were in the 50's but after looking into it prokote looks like it can be picky on curing. So, any recommendations? I'd hate to have to wait untill August to finish my rods because they're intended for spring steelhead...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy curing related to temp.
Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2016 04:28PM

Danny

ProKote will cure at 60 to 65, but it will take a long time, during which very bit of dust in the barn will head directly towards the tacky finish.

If you're willing to change finish, U40 LS Supreme has similar properties (it too needs 70 to 80 room temperature) but it does not off gas, so no fumes, no smell, and mom is happy.

After all, if mom is not happy no one is happy!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 18, 2016 06:16PM

All finish epoxies will either double or halve their set and cure times with every 18F down or up from about 70F. At 50F, you'd not only have a very thick and unmanageable mis, but one that took a very, very long time to set and cure.

Epoxy does not give off "fumes." It is a solid and does not evaporate any solvent.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: March 18, 2016 06:22PM

Danny build your self a drying box with a few of 60w incandescent light globes .They should generate heat to dry the epoxy & hopefully satisfy the odour problem .If you have a look in the photo board you should see a heap of different designs to get your self out of trouble .You could also set it up in the barn to further eliminate the odour .There must be something wrong with my sense of smell because I've never noticed it

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2016 06:27PM

I went to Mud Hole and read the reviews on Pro coat
One guy said after a day it was still tacky and took two days to Dry To The Touch To me that is a long time I use flex coat UV and even in cooler temps it still sets 5 - 6 hours Cold more BUT the next day set and I can sand it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2016 07:01PM

Danny,
Several folks in the family are sensitive to fumes.
No issues with curing epoxy rod finish. Little to no smell from the mixing and curing process.

Then, use a space heater or similar to try to elevate the temperature to about 80 degrees over night and you will have a nice cure in the morning.

If necessary , just hang some light bulbs over the rod to both light up as well as to keep the area warm.

Be safe

Date: March 18, 2016 08:00PM

If your days are warm I would suggest put the finish on early Like 7 : 00 in the morning Then the day warms up Don't like pro Coat seems to take too long to set up
use water to wet the area around the rod This will help to keep the dust down

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: March 18, 2016 10:53PM

With prokote I normally put it on before I go to sleep with the temp. set at 70. In the morning it will be tacky and I give it the whole day to help cure just to be safe.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 18, 2016 11:16PM

Prokote is slow to cure, and seems more sensitive to temperature then some of the other epoxies. I find Threadmaster (both regular and Lite) work best for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2016 01:01PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Gary Kilmartin (135.26.161.---)
Date: March 19, 2016 10:40AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Epoxy does not give off "fumes." It is a solid and does not evaporate any solvent.

About "fumes" then; I use Flex Coat Lite and Threadmaster Lite. I get slightly better results overall with Threadmaster, and would use it exclusively except for one issue. TM smells a lot more than FC. I scarcely notice the odor of FC. The smell coming from a mix of TM is very noticeable. And, it does not smell what you would call healthy.

So, I use TM for guide wraps, but when I do a long holo wrap, I use FC.

Danny; give Flex Coat Lite a try. Mom may not even notice it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2016 11:27AM

You are not smelling a solvent - just the normal "aroma" of the amine in the hardener. Your dog probably has an odor, but it is not giving off "fumes."

Date: March 19, 2016 01:12PM

Maybe put up some air fresheners

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: March 19, 2016 01:20PM

Danny,
another option that I have used successfully in the past has been to use one of the small standing tower type "air purifiers", the smell was very strong in the room where I was working but with the filter placed in the door blowing outward the smell was unnoticeable.

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.125.---)
Date: March 21, 2016 02:09PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> Prokote is slow to cure, and seems more sensitive
> to temperature then some of the other epoxies. I
> find Threadmaster (both regular and Lite) work
> best for me.

That duplicates my experiences.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.wireless.buffalo.edu)
Date: March 23, 2016 04:28PM

Thankyou everyone for the input. On a side note, how much finish would i need to do both a 14ft rod and 13ft? im guessing that the preloaded seringes of ProKote that i have will not be enough for both rods.

Date: March 24, 2016 03:47PM

How much is in the syringes?

Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2016 10:52PM

12ml each, 24ml total

Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2016 09:39PM

Phil Erickson Wrote:
> How much is in the syringes?

12ml each, so 24ml total mixed

Date: March 29, 2016 09:00PM

Looks a little short for the two rods, especially if heavy wraps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster