I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best starter kit for rod building?
Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.nat.uw.edu)
Date: March 08, 2016 12:27PM

I have recently decided I am going to start building my own fishing rods and need a good kit to get me started. I am the kind of guy who would rather pay the extra money for a good kit so I can have quality tools as opposed to buying the Black Max combo of rod building kits. Here are a few kits that I have been looking at.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Could anyone tell me which they think the better one is of the two? Would also be great to get some suggestions if there is something better. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best starter kit for rod building?
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: March 08, 2016 01:24PM

Mudhole, except for the dryer that is basically what you get with the class

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 02:12PM

Hello Denham.

Both of these kits are a little ill prepared, they both have things listed but not pictured and things pictured but not listed, the Get Bit Kit has stuff behind a sale banner, I don't see Razor Blades, Quick Pulls, Dream Reamer Kit, Rod Building Made EZ DVD, Batson Dryer, in the picture but there is thread and what looks like a handle kit, and maybe a Burnishing Tool (Stuff under Banner) and Both Kits show Tape but don't list it.

The MudHole Kit lists everything in the picture but the tape, but the book shown is not the one they named ("Rod-Building Guide: Fly, Cast, Spin by Tom Kirkman), instead they show "Step By Step Rod Building by Flex Coat", I much prefer Tom's Book.

In my "opinion" going buy the info at those sites if you get Everything Pictured & Everything Listed the MudHole Kit is Better

However I would like the Dream Reamer $77.15, or the Extreme Reamer Set $69.95 instead of the Razor Wand $7.95 for each size (only one in the kit) The razor Wand will be OK till you decide to build a lot of rods then you will want something more, also if you go EVA the razor wand is almost useless (again my opinion).

I started with a box, Tom & Dales Books, a Flex Coat finish kit, U-40 Rod Bond, some used guides salvaged from other rods, some EVA bought off the internet and a blank from Jann's, my second build was a kit (MHCK6, 5' 10" Gator) from MudHole.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Get Bit Outdoors.Com (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 02:36PM

Hi Denham,

We are happy to help you get started and make sure you have what you need at a great price. Please feel free to give us a call and ask for Kevin, I'm glad to explain the kits and answer any questions.

Tight Lines and Bull's-eyes,

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com
www.facebook.com/GetBitOutdoors

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.nat.uw.edu)
Date: March 08, 2016 02:38PM

I thought the mudhole one looked like the better value, aside from the reamers. I like the dream reamer kit offered by Batson but I am not sure I could see myself utilizing all of them. I am obviously not sure how functional the razor wand is but I would imagine it will suffice for building a bass rod? I don't see myself building "a lot" of rods right off the bat, just one or two.

Date: March 08, 2016 02:58PM

The reamer kit is the way to go, not just because they last forever and make it super easy to ream your handles with the option to use a drill if you choose.... it is the sizes and tapers that make it a big benefit to any builder. It is very hard to ream a handle properly with just one reamer. Every blank has a different size and taper and few grips come large enough already to accommodate just one reamer size.

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-209.myvzw.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 03:00PM

Our Flex Coat Small Business Start-Up Kit is the OG: Original Gangsta

Our kit started it all with all our great products to get you started. Our kit is available at both Get Bit and Mudhole and many other fine retailers online and off. Click the link below for more info on the Flex Coat Small Business Start-Up Kit.

[www.flexcoat.com]

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Date: March 08, 2016 03:04PM

No doubt John, Flex Coat small business kit is definitely in the mix.

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Get Bit Outdoors
407-542-7840
www.GetBitOutdoors.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 03:56PM

Don't get the razor wands Grit glued onto a blank section can come off after reaming then as you slide the grip onto the blank if caught in the hole of the grip it will scratch the blank -- Not Good The tape glued on is way better

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (38.124.162.---)
Date: March 08, 2016 04:04PM

Without question the Mud Hole Kit is better. Just look at the hand wrapper, the foundation of the kit, the CRB Hand Wrapper is much, much better than a "V" notched wood base without question. Everything about the CRB hand wrapper is better in our opinion - it's simply a game changer. We have thousands of students who will attest to which wrapper is better. Others sell what they sell because its all they have to offer. The reamer is another example of that.

John - Mud Hole actually consulted with Rodger to build the Flex Coat start up kit a few years ago. At our request he built that kit with the components he had.

Roger - we will fix that book in the image.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 06:10PM

I hate to state or question the obvious but:
The V-notch in the wood wrappers looks remarkable like the V- notch in the CBR wrapper.

I used a wood wrapper for the first 25 years of rod building before switching to a power unit.
In fact used the same unit the whole time with out failure. Still sits on a shelf in case I need it for back up some day.

I think the Flex coat may include more stuff, But the two metal posts located just below the notches on the Get Bit model. Allow for you to use rubber bands to create tension on the blank while wrapping which will prevent thread work from loosening up should you need to remove your hands for something else.

Neither the Flex Coat, or Mud hole model offer this option. If you go with the Flew coat I would suggest installing your own, You will at times find them quite beneficial. Not sure if you can do that on mud hole brand

I'm not sure if Get Bit's model comes with extra rod supports but they are also a plus. (could be they just not pictured in Get Bit photo.)
And most definitely need multiple sized reamers

Posted by: michael prybis (---.lightspeed.gnwdin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 08, 2016 07:49PM

If it where me, I would skip buying a kit. With all the videos on the net all you need is a wrapper and a dryer. Everything thing else besides the reamers, video and book, are disposable. You can get them when needed. You can also get away with out a dryer but it makes it a lot easier. I myself actually prefer the flex coat hand wrapper. The side supports are adjustable to different lengths. You can use a rubber band to hold the blank in place by placing it over the or around the side supports then roll it down to the blank. Since you are just starting one thing you will want is a digital caliper to measure the blank diameter. It also comes in handy when turning grips making other measurements. Let's us know what you decide and if we can be of more help.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.58.137.---)
Date: March 08, 2016 08:37PM

I'm with Michael, buy everything seperate. Rod dryer is one thing I would splurge on, but you can make a wrapper out of a cardboard box and use a basic tensioning device. A complete rod kit with components, thread, and glue would be good; but if you keep it basic you can buy everything seperate and still keep it very inexpensive.

Use the search engine on this forum to soak up a lot of knowldege, and you will become more confident in what you ACTUALLY need. Keep it cheap, then once you know you like the field of custom rod building you can add on to your arsenal of equipment.

A lot of people spend too much money getting into any practice/hobby and are displeased with the results. I'm sure I will get my head chewed off here from the next few people who post buy hey: I want more people in the field of custom rod building and this is the approach I took. I'm not a great builder but I know I love being on this forum and I love rod building.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: March 08, 2016 11:03PM

I would venture to say that the best kit to buy is the one that gets you started on building.

Posted by: Denham Bruce (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2016 01:04AM

Thank you everyone for all the replies. It seems to me like there is a great community behind this forum, lots of good advice. There are so many good options it seems hard to pick one at the moment. Still some research left to be done...

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 09, 2016 07:37AM

its all starts with the handwrapper and you can't beat the Mud Hole CRB wrapper. I have seen students first hand with the older wooden hand wrappers and have helped hundreds of students with the new CRB wrapper. Rod building is supposed to be fun. CRB hand wrapper keeps the learning curve reasonable and is easy to use and well designed.
Buzz

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (38.124.162.---)
Date: March 09, 2016 10:33AM

Steve Gardner - your wrong on several items, allow us to correct your statements for the readers.

1. The CRB hand wrapper has notches in the outside edges of the rod stands to hold a "CRB Rod Band". The CRB Rod Band provides tension to the rod blank to keep it "locked" in place - both jumping out and spinning back toward the user and losing tension on the thread. The CRB Rod Bands alone are superior to a basic rubber band provided with the wooden V notch wrappers. The cloth covering of the CRB Rod Band allows the blank to spin without fiction associated with a rubber band yet the CRB Rod Bands are elastic enough to keep sufficient tension on the blank.

2. Since wooden V wrappers do not provide any type of maintained tension to the thread (provided by the CRB Thread Tenson Rod (HWS-TR)) - the rubber bands and metal posts you mention only serve to keep the blank from jumping out not backing up and releasing the wrap (it’s static).

3. Looks are deceiving – the look of a V notch is the only common thing - the CRB stands are movable, the wooden stands are not, the CRB stands have a replaceable rod support, wooden stand don’t, the CRB stands provide an offset center of gravity which makes them very stable, the wooden stands are prone to tipping over.

The three items above are just a small listing of the benefits/differences, The CRB Hand Wrapper is a game changer and has all but made other wooden hand wrappers obsolete - it has some many new features it is actually trademarked and patent pending.

Other Major Features and Key Benefits:
1. Adjustable Vertical Supports – now you can move the supports out of the way to accommodate existing guides, handles or just give yourself more room to work. Supports are wide enough to completely clear the thread slider. The two main supports can also be completely removed for the base station to allow you with the ultimate in versatility.
a. The supports feature felt lined deep “blank-pockets” to hold your rod blank secure and protected its surface while wrapping.
b. The positive locking system securely keeps the blank from jumping out of supports while you wrap.
c. A third vertical rod support is provided to support the butt or tip while wrapping at the base station.

2. Dual Spool Tensioners – holding two spools means you can quickly change from color to color fast and efficiently.

3. Spool Side Pressure System – SSPS, is designed to put pressure on the spool, not the thread like many plate type thread tensions – a much better way to tension the thread. By putting pressure on the spool and not the thread you avoid the problems of the metallic treads de-laminating, nylon thread bunching and twist coiling. The SSPS also feature Delrin washer system aided by a cone spring for a smooth and constant pressure on your wraps.

4. Smooth Slider – designed to move smoothly along the complete base, no binding and tracks well to the thread wraps. It even clears to vertical supports.

5. Thread Tension Rod (HWS-TR) – is designed to keep constant thread tension on your wraps, cushion the tread spool pressure and allow you to reverse your wraps without losing tension on the thread.

6. Instruction Card – the HWS-1 incorporates an interchangeable step by step instruction cards which show the basic steps and advanced steps to building your custom fishing rod.

7. Wrapper Base – serves as the mounting platform for the complete HWS-1 system and feature soft rubber feet which keep the HWS-1 in place while you are wrapping.

8. System Approach – This Hand Wrapping System (HWS) is part of the CRB system of rod building equipment line. As such the Vertical Supports are interchange able with the CRB Rod Drying System (RDS) and upgradeable to other CRB equipment to come.

9. Price – We saved the best for last – the Price! This unit is 50% less than lesser wooden hand wrapping units.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Date: March 11, 2016 12:37AM

Hello MudHole.

My name is Robert not Roger!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2016 06:27AM

Mud Hole;
That is an excellent post., If you had provided that info in the first place I may not have even posted.
The opinions I shared were based on the pictures presented in the post.

The cloth coated rod bands are also an excellent idea. Went back to re-looked at your site's picture in case I missed them and needed to apologize for not sharing that info. They are not pictured, noted in high lighted info section, nor specs. section.
In fact very little of what you posted is listed on you site. (I never claimed to be clairvoyant)

Also like the idea of being able to adjust the rod support width

The (second line item) #3 "Spool Side Pressure System" gets my vote too as well as the following item #4.

My opinions came from info provided and personal experience. Never had problem with wrapper turning over and from what I can see all the wrapper provide felt lined notches

Mr Bruce:
I would diffidently look into their system. Especially since he is offering it to you at 50% less then the other's. Which (unless I miscalculated) is substantially less then theirs and the other's advertised posted prices

Date: March 11, 2016 10:56AM

Hello MudHole.

As I was saying your Picture and List do not match and now your post does not match either of those, its information like this that puts people off of rod building (cant get the right info (it keeps changing) even from the mfr.).

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster