I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Buying a lathe and accessories. Need some suggestions...
Posted by: Mark Vanderhoof (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 02, 2016 01:41PM

Hi, my objective is to make my own cork grips for flyrods and spinning rods and also learn how to do inlays and things like that. Ive been doing research on the subject on here and elsewhere. I'm getting ready to purchase a lathe and accessories. The confusing part for me is the tool chucks, keyless chucks, tail stocks etc. Are the following items proper and compatible with each other. Im open to any suggestions on these type of items. Just trying to get a lathe setup to try my hand at making cork grips. thanks, mark
[www.harborfreight.com]
[www.grizzly.com]
[www.grizzly.com]
[www.amazon.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Buying a lathe and accessories. Need some suggestions...
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: March 02, 2016 02:58PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:57PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Ernie E Swanson (---.dial.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 03:35PM

The tail stock taper of that lathe is M2 according to the owners manual
Not sure about the Head stock

Date: March 02, 2016 03:47PM

I read somewhere that the spindle thread on head stock is 1", 8 tooth per inch. Not sure what that means?!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:08PM

On the outside of the headstock spindle there is a threaded section. Any accessories, chucks, etc., that mount outside the morse taper will need to fit a specific thread pitch and count. 1x8 is fairly standard for most lathe accessories and most chucks require an adapter that will mate with the specific lathe thread count.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 02, 2016 04:17PM

I own a similar lathe. I have essentially the same live tail stock that you listed. I also have 3 of essentially the same keyless jacob chucks that you listed.

In addition, I also have a 3 jaw 3 inch and a 3 jaw 4 inch machinest chuck that have an internal 1X8 threaded back plate that screws onto the headstock of the lathe.

All of these tools work well to do the jobs that I do to shape cork and handles as well as to do light metal machining and drilling.

Date: March 02, 2016 04:24PM

A picture of the lathe using some of the accessories that you mention:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

An example of a 3 inch 1X8 threaded 3 jaw chuck:

[www.grizzly.com]

For better holding, a machinist chuck similar to this one works better for holding things on the head stock. This chuck has a plain back which means that you will also need to buy a threaded 1X8 backplate that will fit the back of the chuck, but the back plate will need to be machined by a metal lathe using your head stock to hold the back plate. That way the chuck backplate can be machined exactly to fit your particular screw on head stock shaft and end up with 0 wobble or run out when you use the chuck.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: March 02, 2016 09:05PM

Excellent. Thanks for the replies everyone. Have a better understanding of the parts now.
Roger, so the threaded chuck from your grizzly link would be a better chuck than the one i posted? Looks like its compatible with th HB lathe. That chuck wouldnt require any modifications?
I ended up getting the HB lathe tonight. After coupon it was S160. Pretty reasonalbe i thought. Now i need to order parts and supplies. Looking forward to trying this. Mark

Date: March 02, 2016 11:04PM

The chuck that you posted will work just fine.

It is just that if you want to do some heavier work turning or possibly doing some end metal drilling the machinist chuck is a bit stronger and will work better. But, I also have the same equivalent grizzley chuck that you posted and I have certainly used it for some jobs.

Date: March 03, 2016 12:03AM

Thanks Roger! I ordered the one you that you posted a link for. Also ordered a bunch of other stuff. Hope i got all of the right things. Quite an investment but really looking forward to building some grips.
This is the drill chuck i got. [www.amazon.com]
I got the 3 jaw chuck and live center from grizzly.

Posted by: Joe Moriarity - Custom Fly Grips LLC (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: March 03, 2016 03:32PM

I use this chuck on my lathe for turning grips and have not had any problems with it. The price is right and it holds a mandrel well. I generally turn cork with a 1/4" mandrel. Make sure you purchase a turning mandrel, not steel rods from the hardware store. They will not be straight and will only lead to problems and frustration.
[www.pennstateind.com]
Mark, I have your cork packed up and will be dropping it off at the post office soon so you can get started. You can contact me by email any time if you have any questions.

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Date: March 03, 2016 04:29PM

Thank You Joe!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster