I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

one foot guide / 2 foot guide RODS ?
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 23, 2016 11:45PM

one foot guides / 2 foot guides ?? the 2 foot guide total foot print is about 50% longer that the foot print of the single foot guide, if that is so, won't that make the rod stiffer over all , with the 2 foot guide ,
probably can't tell the difference in the 2 rods , won't one rod be stiffer than the other just a tad ???? I think the 2 foot rod will be a little stiffer than the single don't know if when fishing the 2 rods if you can tell them apart
just a question ? any comments on that idea ?

William Sidney
AK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2016 11:46PM by Bill Sidney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: one foot guide / 2 foot guide RODS ?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2016 06:50AM

Bill,

The 2 foot guides will make the rod stiffer, i.e. less flexible where they are wrapped, but the rod with single foot guides will feel stiffer because it has less inertia and reacts and recovers more quickly. With heavy guides the rod will react and recover more slowly and feel more whippy.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 24, 2016 10:23AM

Double footed guides tend to make the rod softer as their additional weight must then be carried by the rod.

If you don't believe this, try this experiment - wrap a series of double footed guides all along a rod blank, end to end, foot to foot. You'll have an absolute noodle as a result.

Adding even one guide, of any type, makes the rod softer, not stiffer.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 24, 2016 12:50PM

thanks for the input

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: chris blackburn (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: February 28, 2016 02:18PM

I swear I have seen a video on YouTube where two rods were wrapped the same, one with single foot guides the other with double foot guides. I swear I remember them doing a side by side static weight test and the single foot guide rod bent further down than the double foot guides? If I remember correctly and that is the case, wouldn't the double foot guide rod be stiffer since it didn't bend as far? Or is it possible to not bend as far and be slightly stronger than the single foot guide while still feeling wobblier because of just letting the weight hang versus the extra weight of the guides and momentum be what causes the rod to flex more when whipping back and forth vs. just actual strength?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 29, 2016 06:55PM

Tom
Is correct He knows
It is like tying a rock onto the tip of the rod The extra weight SLOWS the action of the rod down

Why do you read posts of builders that want the lightest guides - lightest seats - lightest blank - lightest grips ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 01:51AM

Hey Chris,

Though double foot guides might make your rod "stiffer," it's the increased weight that will decrease the responsiveness of your rod. In other words, it might take more pressure for it to bend a certain way because of the added structure of the hardware, but the recoil will be inhibited by the extra weight it needs to pull back to neutral position. It's like tying a bunch of sandbags to a diving board. You won't be able to jump as high because the recoil, or responsiveness, is going to be greatly affected. Static tests using line tension, or pressing the rod tips against a carpeted floor only reveal how much pressure it takes the rod to bend a certain way, but how fast and powerfully it returns back to neutral position is a big part of how action is measured.

Hope it made sense.

Nick

Posted by: chris blackburn (107.72.164.---)
Date: March 01, 2016 09:41AM

That was my logic Nick. Thanks for confirming. The rod could actually flex less when just hanging weight from it, but the added weight and momentum generated when wobbled will actually cause the blank to be more "noodly" and appear to have a slower action than the same blank wrapped with single foot guides. Thanks for the info.

Posted by: chris blackburn (107.72.164.---)
Date: March 01, 2016 09:41AM

double tap

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 09:42AM by chris blackburn.

Posted by: Nick Lam (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2016 08:05PM

You're totally right about the momentum too, its amazing what difference lighter weight components make.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster