I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank characteristics for Carolina rig fishing
Posted by: Alistair Mangion (46.11.225.---)
Date: February 21, 2016 03:56PM

I am looking for a blank for Carolina rig type of fishing in saltwater with live bait as well as plastics. Looking for a long 2 piece blank which can throw around an oz. Any idea as to what characteristics are best ? Should it be fast or mod fast, and what type of tip would you recommend ? Any blank recommendations ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank characteristics for Carolina rig fishing
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 06:26PM

Because the Carolina rig has the characteristic to take you out of direct contact with the lure, I like a very fast action in order to get that contact back fast and positively when I do my hook set. Base the power on the one ounce weight you want to cast. "long" and "2 piece" stumps me for a blank recommendation.

Posted by: Jeremiah Petrowski (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 06:51PM

Maybe one of these might work for you. [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

I built on a Pac Bay blank that's pretty much the same thing I believe just more pricey in most cases. I built mine for Great Lakes Trout, Salmon and Carp so I don't see why it wouldn't work for you if your after redfish, snook and fish like that, you didn't say so I'm just guessing. I could be wrong though I'm certainly no expert. It definitely has a fast tip, gets right on it in a hurry. Seem to have a really good backbone. I made a lot of casts in a big trucking lot next door and I was casting 1oz 50-60 yards into a pretty stiff wind with relative ease. Could have went further but only had so much room. Most all of the lakes around me are frozen right now. It'll be a little bit before I can get at them to really give it a good test. And really the price isn't all that bad either.

Hopefully someone with more experience with different blanks will chime in with a suggestion.

Good Luck.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 21, 2016 09:11PM

Rainshadow SW 967F 3/4 to 4 oz. I got one ordered for much the same purpose, among other things. This is not as fast as Michael recommends but I think it will work well with flouro - braid. Lynn

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: February 22, 2016 03:17AM

Thanks guys. I need it long and 2 pieces because I will be using it from the beach / shore with sandy areas ... as in light surfcasting / beach legering in calm waters. We use this technique for various types of breams, seabass, bottom feeding fish. Was not sure about the fast action because I might be using it with live bait (worms and the like) ...I read somewhere that with live bait you don't want it too fast as it might drop the bait during the cast.

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2016 03:29AM

I do a lot of Carolina rigging, and even though I do mine in freshwater, the process will be the same. Your wanting a longer rod is the right choice. but not because you can make longer casts, but because a longer rod will move more line on a hook set. And that IMO is the number one key of Carolina rig fishing.

Also, as Michael pointed out. Base the power you choose on the size weight you'll be casting, and then add at least half that weight to determine your upper weight rating. If you'll be throwing up to 1 oz. weights, I'd suggest going with a blank rated up to at least 1 1/2 oz. You'll be moving the weight on the hook set, and, depending on bottom composition, you'll be moving a weight that can seem like it's stuck to the bottom at times.

As for action, I've tried both fast and extra fast action rods. I prefer a fast action. I do quite a bit of shallower water Carolina rigging, for fish that jump. The fast action seems to keep hooked fish buttoned up a little more consistently.

Sorry I couldn't suggest a blank. I don't have a lot of experience with different blanks just yet. And, I don't fish that heavy of weights. I do my Carolina rig fishing with a 7' medium heavy power, fast action factory rod at the moment. If I ever build another one to replace it, I'll be looking for a blank with the same characteristics.

Posted by: Alistair Mangion (---.i02-5.onvol.net)
Date: February 22, 2016 04:23AM

Thanks David, very helpful.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 22, 2016 07:40PM

Got my blank today, seems to be fast for a moderate. Haven't bent the @#$%& out of it yet. Lynn

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 22, 2016 11:05PM

I use a 2 piece MHX 844-2 for my Carolina rig fishing. It's rated for up to 1 oz but I find when I use a 1 oz sinker that it's a bit much for the rod. The blank handles a 3/4 oz sinker much better

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2016 09:35AM

lol Lynn. With that power rating I'm not surprised it seems fast. Bet it's gonna sling some lead. Let us know how it turns out!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster