I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Denatured Alcohol
Posted by: Robert Reid (---.hartness.com)
Date: February 17, 2016 11:59AM

Hi,

I'm new to rod building and I recently purchased a ready to wrap fly rod kit from Swift Fly Fishing. In the build manual that came with it one of the supplies needed is denatured alcohol, they state to get the kind that isn't dyed. I assume this is because it is used as a thinner for the first coat on my wraps. So my questions are, am I right with my assumption and if so, where can I get clear denatured alcohol?

Thanks, Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Denatured Alcohol
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:09PM

You don't need to thin your thread wrap finish. The alcohol, which is available at most any hardware or home supply store, is simply for cleaning purposes.

Posted by: Robert Reid (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:15PM

Thanks Tom!

I made that assumption because they stated in the manual to thin the epoxy for the first coat. This was for making transparent wraps, which is what I would like to do. So do I still need to thin the epoxy?

Rob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:47PM

Check out these past posts They should help with the transparent wraps

[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 17, 2016 01:26PM

Acetone would be the product best for thinning, if you truly want to do that. But keep in mind that epoxy isn't the best finish for transparent type wraps.

Date: February 17, 2016 01:39PM

Yes, I was reading some of those post and saw that acetone would be better to use. I'm just going by what the build manual says since this is my first build. Also with this kit they send you epoxy so that is all I have currently.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 03:37PM

Robert,
As others have said - don't thin the epoxy. There is simply no need to thin the epoxy.

If you do find that the finish is not flowing as you would like, just a touch of gentle heat will warm the finish on the rod and it will flow nicely.

But, in any event - do NOT use alcohol to thin epoxy. Alcohol is not the correct solvent for thinning epoxies.

Acetone is a possible solvent, but is till not the best solvent to thin epoxy finish.

The best solvent to use for thinning an epoxy finish is Xylene.

But, be safe --- both Acetone and Xylene are very quick evaporating solvents, and the fumes are dangerous to breathe. So, if you use either of these very volatile solvents, do so in a well vented area with a fan blowing air out the window and so that the fumes do not come to your nose for breathing.

Be safe

p.s.
I have built hundreds of rods, and I have never ever used any thinner in any of my epoxy finishes. The finish is perfect and crystal clear. So, no a thinner is NOT needed to finish a rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 03:38PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 03:59PM

I don't believe we are talking about the clarity of the finish here, he is merely stating that the use of the finish thinned with either DNA or Acetone is the way to have the thread wraps go transparent, whereas the guide foot is clearly visable under the wrap. This is a common factor in use by a lot of glass and bamboo builders.

Ron Weber

Date: February 17, 2016 04:03PM

Yes Ron, that is exactly what I'm shooting for.

Posted by: brian rossi (107.77.75.---)
Date: February 17, 2016 04:12PM

What type and color of thread did your kit come with? As long as it's not a ncp type thread it will be somewhat transparent with regular epoxy. It won't vanish but if it's a lighter color you'll be able to clearly see the guide foot underneath.

Date: February 17, 2016 04:20PM

I haven't received the kit yet. I downloaded the manual to read through it before starting. Just wanted to make sure that I had everything that I needed.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.32.---)
Date: February 17, 2016 04:21PM

Robert,
In all my years of buying denatured alcohol I've never seen anything, but clear alcohol. Maybe the stuff you get as stove fuel may be tinted, but the stuff from your ACE Hardware, Lowe's, etc. is always clear. It's found in the paint department, acetone, xylene, etc. is also there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 04:26PM

And also there is Lacquer thinners Medium temperature which I have used with good results to thin out finish High build
Or use a light finish

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2016 04:28PM by bill boettcher.

Date: February 17, 2016 04:47PM

Thanks for the help!

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 04:49PM

brian rossi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What type and color of thread did your kit come
> with? As long as it's not a ncp type thread it
> will be somewhat transparent with regular epoxy.
> It won't vanish but if it's a lighter color you'll
> be able to clearly see the guide foot underneath.

The kit should come with 000 silk, std is black and 212

Ron Weber

Date: February 17, 2016 05:41PM

A thinned varnish over white silk is the only way to get what you're after.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 06:46PM

I don't often differ with Tom, but there is another way to get glass clear silk wraps. I thin the epoxy to slightly thicker then water, by using acetone for my first coat. After cured, follow with a second coat of unthinned epoxy. I have done a number of these on both bamboo and graphite, and have had people tell me there is no thread on the wraps..............wrong!

Date: February 17, 2016 06:57PM

You can do that, but it will affect the characteristics of the epoxy, at least according to the epoxy formulators. That much acetone or any solvent in epoxy, will affect the cured product. If you're not having trouble with it, great. But keep it in the back of your mind should something arise down the road.

Posted by: Robert Reid (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 08:33PM

Thanks for the help! I can't wait for it to get here so I can try it out.

Posted by: Robert Reid (---.lightspeed.gnvlsc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 17, 2016 08:33PM

Thanks for the help! I can't wait for it to get here so I can try it out.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster