I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Angler's Roost
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.zalmos.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 03:27PM

Johnny is having a big sale on his Presidential bamboo blanks and rods. Also on his glass spey rods. He said he was going to post here but until then I will mention it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Angler's Roost
Posted by: Michael Maclean (198.91.15.---)
Date: February 16, 2016 03:51PM

Do the blanks come with ferrules already installed? Sorry for the stupid question, I've just never ordered a bamboo blank before

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 03:57PM

Usually no
But ask He may just do it for you

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.zalmos.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 03:59PM

It seems like some did in the past but lately not. But all you have to do is ask Johnny to send you the correct ferrules for the blank. He has those made especially for his blanks and they are very nice looking and highly functional. They have an expensive look to them.

Date: February 16, 2016 04:01PM

If you plan to build Bamboo rods This is some thing you SHOULD learn A lot of info on the net on doing them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 04:59PM

Thanks guys, I live down in Florida so most fly rods down here are graphite, but I may be taking a trip up to Montana this summer so I was thinking about making a fly rod when I go. I've researched quite a bit on bamboo fly rods but I just didn't know if the blanks came with a ferrule.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 16, 2016 06:20PM

Bill B, what Michael is talking about is assembling a rod on a bamboo blank not actually building one. It is no different that any one of us buying a graphite blank and assembling it with our choice of compents.
When one actually starts from scratch with a clum of bamboo, splits then planes the taper and does all the other steps to make the blank and final rod can we say they are a "Maker".
Granted if one wanted to learn to "build" there is a plethora of info on the net and many makers offer classes. However, the learning curve to assemble a rod on a bamboo blank is not that far from assembling one on a graphite or glass blank.
Having restored/refinished hundreds of vintage bamboo rods and having made several dozen rods from scratch I can say there is a difference in the two processes. What drives me and other makers crazy are when people pass themselves off as makers just because they bought a bamboo blank and threw some guides, grip and seat on it and say it's hand built. You are a builder or assembler. The average time to build a rod is 40 hrs. using one of Johnnys blanks I could have a rod done in less than 8 hrs. Would I charge the same price for both? No but I know some people do.
If someone wanted to try bamboo but didn't want to drop a lot of money I would recommend the blanks from AR. Of all the import blanks out there these are some of the better ones and johnny stand behind them, at least in my peorsonal experience.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2016 06:30PM

Gary, your nit picking Bill's comment! Fitting ferrules to purchased bamboo blanks is universal, and it is part of the "assembly" process. Building/assembly whats it matter?

By the way.................please note the Title of this forum!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2016 06:32PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 16, 2016 06:44PM

Phil, I felt that Bill implied that there was more to building a rod from a blank than there actually is if one were to start with a premade blank and prehaps dissuaded the posters idea of building a babmoo rod.

Posted by: John Kuehn (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 17, 2016 12:00PM

Thank You Ed,

I just put up a post. You can save up to 35% off your entire order. This is the biggest sale we're going to have this year!

Date: February 17, 2016 01:04PM

Gary
I was thinking of fitting the two mail and female together for that POP fit Yet there are those already fit

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster