I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

exposed seat
Posted by: phil ayers (50.58.79.---)
Date: January 28, 2016 09:44AM

Where do I need to take the measurement for a exposed seat on a casting rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: exposed seat
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 28, 2016 01:03PM

I don't say this to sound snide or sarcastic, but measure it where you want to put it.

Let me explain a bit. First you will first determine what length handle you want or can even decide where you want to place the seat on the blank and then measure the blank at that point.

I would guess by the question that this is going to be a casting rod utilizing something similar to an ECS, Textouch, MVT, or PTS?

Tom

Date: January 28, 2016 01:17PM

Yes, do I measure where the seat meets the handle or in the center of the seat where it is exposed. You don't sound snide I am new at this and this is my first exposed seat, maybe I didn't come across very well. I have everything on order except the seat so I could get a good measurement in order for the seat to fit well. With the taper of the rod I was not sure where to take a measurement of the diameter. Thanks for responding. Phil

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 01:35PM

Measure in the middle of where the seat goes If too tight it can be reamed for a better fit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 28, 2016 01:37PM

Phil,
You want to measure the blank, where the center of the reel seat will be. The center of the reel seat, is the measured internal size of the grip. A good question.

The other thing that you can do, is to ask your vendor to measure the blank for you and ship you the correct seat. But, you need to tell the supplier, where you want the seat located on the blank. A common length for freshwater 6-7 foot blanks will be about 11 or 12 inches from the butt of the rod blank. Typical butt section will be 4 inches, an open space of 4-5 inches and a rear grip of 4-5 inches. then the reel seat will be about 5 inches. This puts the center of the reel seat at the 11-12 inch mark. If a person makes a mistake, it is better to make a mistake on the small side (just barely, i.e.). If the reel seat is just a touch small, one can ream out the seat a bit. Most of the reel seat materials are such that one can ream them a bit, but is much more difficult to ream them a great deal.

Good luck

Date: January 28, 2016 02:09PM

Thanks to everyone, great information. Phil

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2016 11:11AM

Phil,

This can be a problem with not only reel seats, but winding checks as well. All blanks will have a little different taper to them. When I order from Mudhole, I just add in the comments sets on the internet order form a request to check the I.D.s of the reel seats and/or winding checks with them positioned "X" inches from the butt of the rod. I have noted on the blanks received in these cases were marked with a china pencil and the reel seats or winding checks when sized to fit as requested. It saves a lot of time and money having to place a second order.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 29, 2016 12:04PM

Winding checks metal ones I add .5 and if it is too loose I under-wrap with either A - D which ever helps better
Seats I just ream for the fit I like

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Howell (---.static.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: January 30, 2016 03:55PM

I built a St. Croix recently with a Fuji split seat. I started were I wanted the seat components and did all the measuring of the metal winding checks with a digital caliper on the rod to size the checks and seat and used the dimensions to order everything. Marked with a China marker where each seat component went along with winding checks. I like the butt of the rod to come just short of my elbow when I am holding the rod in the middle of where the reel seat will go. I start there and everything work from that point. The components came back the way I wanted and fit perfect. Takes a little more time but seems to work best. Only draw back is that you will have to do orders instead of one as you need the rod before you can measure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster