I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy on a dobys repair
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: January 26, 2016 10:47PM

I had the chance to do a repair on a Dobyns Extreme the other day. I believe that it was their CB705. I was quite shocked to see how soft their epoxy was. I was literally able to peel it by getting my fingernail under it almost like an apple on an apple peeler( the kind that spins the apples around like you see in infomercials).

Do any of you all know who they are using for their epoxy? I used Threadmaster in the repair that I performed, I was MUCH MORE clear than what was applied by the factor and had no bubbles unlike every factor wrap.

Thanks for your help,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy on a dobys repair
Posted by: brian rossi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 12:52AM

I don't know what they use but I replaced a guide on my dobyns rod a while ago. It's a savvy series probably around 10 years old and the finish was hard like you would expect it should be. No bubbles in any of the other factory wraps. Sounds like maybe they have a problem with quality control on the newer stuff? (If it's a newer rod)

Date: January 27, 2016 08:43AM

Brian,
Yes, this was a brand new rod that the owner didn't want to hassle with sending it back to Dobyns.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 27, 2016 11:14AM

It's possible that the batch of epoxy they used wasn't mixed property that day and had too much hardener, which will generally result in a coating that never reaches full hardness.

I assume you'll just go back with the Threadmaster which should satisfy the customer.

Date: January 27, 2016 12:33PM

Tom, I honestly believe they must have had a problem with that batch. I could easily dent and mar the wraps with just my thumbnail. I asked the customer to allow me to correct it and he said it wasn't a concern to him. He was very pleased with the repair and commented on the differences between the repair as compared to the factory product.

You are correct that I used the Threadmaster and will continue to do so.

I was just curious if anyone might know if this is a common condition of their rods or if it was a result of the product that they use at the factory.

thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 06:38PM

Tom I have had just the opposite experience with the Doybns. Last year I had one to repair that the epoxy was so hard I was afraid of hurting the blank getting it off. Wondering what kind of epoxy it was, I called their customer service department and asked what they use. The gentleman there told me it was Flexcoat Ultra V two part epoxy.

Since that rod I have done several more and have had no issues with the epoxy at all.

Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 27, 2016 08:45PM

I use the FlexCoat New UV clear
I have not played with it in so many years but it did not seem a real hard finish ??? Since it is NEW

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 27, 2016 08:53PM

Bill I use Ultra V all the time too. I like it for a high build and have no issues. Ken Preston put me on to the AFTCOTE which is a medium build and I like it a lot too.

Tom

Date: January 28, 2016 09:15AM

Tom and Bill,

Have you had a chance to compare them to Threadmaster? If you have can you give me your opinions of them? I am always willing to go back to a product (flex coat is what I started with) or try something new.

No, I am not trying to start anything just looking to garner more information and possibly find a better mousetrap for me.

Thanks for your time guys,
Tom

Posted by: Richard Bowers (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 30, 2016 10:16PM

Tom,

I collect broken and hard-used rods that I repair and freshen up so I can donate them to local kids fishing derbies. I have run the gamut from extra hard and brittle epoxies all the way to the same kind you experienced, soft and easily removed, and the clarity has generally been a light amber but has been like caramel in some instances. In my experience, most of the softer epoxies appeared to come from the 70's and 80's, judging from the wrap styles.

As for the modern 2-part epoxies, I have used ThreadMaster Lite, Bullard's D2, Flex-Coat, and American Tackle's Pro Cote, both the the medium build and the high build. I have had my best luck with the American Tackle High Build, although you need to be aware of the pot life. As for clarity, I find the American Tackle products to be excellent. The Bullard's D2 is the clearest I have seen, but with it I have issues with pot life, bubbles, and there have been occasions where the coat did not adequately self-level (probably due to not paying enough attention to the pot-life!) I have recently ordered both American Tackle products and will be using them going forward.

Date: January 30, 2016 10:45PM

Tom

For the most part I have only used flex coat products . I started with lite build but not long after went strictly to the hi build products. Even though I have attained excellent results I still looked at other brands just for comparison, trying to stay openminded. I used a whole bottle set of the threadmaster hi build but truthfully saw no real reason to switch from tried and true Flexcoat. Now I am using the Ultra V which is Flexcoats uv resistant formula. Great results but I think the pot life on it is rather short. If your not moving fast you'll need two batches.

On the Aftcoate that Ken Preston suggested I try, I am rather happy working with it. It is a medium build goes on beautiful and levels nicely, with very few bubble issues. It wouldn't take much to get me to go 100% Aftcoate. The only downside, if it a downside is that the epoxy takes quite a while longer to fully cure.

Date: January 31, 2016 01:00PM

Tom,
Thank you for the insight. It sounds like I am going to have to try the Aftcoat as well as the new UV Flexcoat and see how the work for me.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster