I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix seconds
Posted by: Jim Alberts (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 07:51AM

Anyone here have any experience with St Croix "seconds" that have been returned to the factory and then wholesaled to a third party?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix seconds
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 08:08AM

I was under the impression that St. croix did not sell seconds but destroyed them instead. Besides I would not want to build on a blank that had been returned for any reason. Just my .02

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 09:04AM

It has been my understanding that these are rods that my have been broken in two some how, i.e. stepped on or slammed etc. The factory will deface them by removing the decals, crating them up, and then sell the lot. If rod was returned for a broken guide they will repair under warranty and send back.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 09:12AM

I would hate to waste my time building a rod on a defective blank, no matter what the source.

Date: January 25, 2016 09:48AM

Your probably right but Im buying oil stock too so we shall see. There is always a price point at which something becomes attractive, the trick is figuring out what that price point is.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 10:20AM

A cheap rod is a cheap rod. Cutting corners will come back to haunt you. If you are building for yourself then no harm done. IMO never build a rod for customer on a returned blank.
My $.02. MH

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 11:17AM

Jim, Thanks for letting the cat out of the bag. I'll never take you fishing.
Mike, You can't build on these blanks but you can repair them. Your buying components used on Legend, MoJo ,and every other series of rods they make in all styles of fly,boat,surf,for bass,musky,and trout. I don't understand why someone would look down on buying quality items in bulk for an affordable investment.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: January 25, 2016 12:55PM

Didnt mean to kick the hornets nest, just asking a question to people who know far more than I do

Posted by: Trinity Lindseth (---.nwmnsa.com)
Date: January 25, 2016 01:12PM

I've bought a couple of the boxes of returns from St. Croix. There are no blanks in the boxes, just returned rods in need of repair, or completely beyond repair. As Dennis said, they are a great source of supplies to build from. I teach a rod building class at the middle school I work at and have been able to supply my students with some high quality components at a fraction of the retail, or even wholesale cost. I have used many of the parts on rods I've built for myself as well. In the last box I bought there were right around 90-95 rods with fishable guides or reel seats. Also, the tip sections make great ice fishing blanks for those of us up North... It works out to about $1.60 per broken rod inside the box, some of which only need a couple guides repaired or a new tip put on. Worst case scenario you get a set of guides for $1.60...

Date: January 25, 2016 03:52PM

Jim, I was just ribbing you. I have bought a box and see a lot of potential in savings.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 25, 2016 04:01PM

Dennis, I have nothing against recycling. That's great if you have the time and patience to break the rods down for parts. I would reuse guides but I wouldn't rebuild or repair a "seconds" rod then sell it... I would give it to my kids or I would use it. Take care, MH

Date: January 26, 2016 08:54AM

Well I just pulled the trigger on a "second" so I will see what I get. If its even close to being as advertised then I am money ahead, if its not I am out about the cost of a cheap meal and a glass of house wine. The risk vs reward thingy seems favorable. By the way I am not a professional rod builder out to fleece some unsuspecting customer, I am so inexperienced I couldnt even be called a competant amateur, so the only person who may get hurt in this whole thing is me.

Posted by: John Britt (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 26, 2016 11:36AM

let me just throw this out for thought, it really depends on the value you put on your time, for someone in the business it might not be worth the time and effort to remove all salvageable components, for someone who just enjoys working with rods it can be a learning experience as well as a great way to get a large number of components at a good price.

Date: January 26, 2016 06:52PM

Mike, I agree with you,after repairs their giveaways. I have guys on the job with kids who like to fish and once repaired these rods are very fishable. Also I have neighbors and relatives that are down on their luck without work and deserve a freebie now and than.
What can't be saved I strip down and the parts go to repair other rods.
Jim, After you finish what you intend to do with all those rods, you'll be a very experienced rod handy guy knowing how factory rods are put together and the short cuts they take.What fillers they use under their grips, how little glue is used, and how easy a rod comes apart with a little heat. So don't worry you'll do great. Enjoy yourself.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 26, 2016 06:55PM

Google up Fish And Save Inexpensive rods reels all kinds of stuff Just be carefull of what up get Check them online first

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster